Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

First of all, let's stop the paranoia. Burlington is not dangerous.

I'm sorry about the employment situation; I'm guessing that you're "underemployed", or not working? There are other, cheaper options in VT, but the job prospects are even fewer in those places, and coming from Long Island,I think that those small towns would drive you crazy in no time. It really might be Burlington, or bust, for you, in terms of employment. I know that there would be more opportunity in a better economy, but perhaps you don't have the luxury of waiting..

By the way, are you referring to the Old North End, or the New North End (across the Beltline)? The Old North End isn't horrible, but it's probably the least desirable neighborhood in Burlington, while the New North End is mostly postwar suburban-like development, with decent neighborhoods, but very little, culturally-speaking. I guess you know all about the college students already..

I do hope that things turn around for you; I assume that you've tried all the obvious employers, but hopefully something will emerge very shortly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Thanks for the replies.

I know stats can be taken out of context or just wrong.

It's not so much 'the small town' but the economy that has really upset me. I've been here 2 years, trying to get a job for all but 6 months of it. The competition for anything is horrible and the recession has made it that much harder to find a job.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
When I suggest to people that they check out Burlington for job/relocation, I really mean Chittenden County - I should probably clarify that! Check out South Burlington and Essex/Essex Junction for schools. South Burlington and Essex Junction are suburban while parts of Essex town get a more ex-urban. Both have good school systems. Williston as well. Williston feeds into the Champlain Valley Union High School District (not sure how old your child is?).
Since you are only about an hour and a half away I would suggest making some day trips up here and check out the area. Drive through the neighborhoods. Eat at local restaurants. Visit the town halls and libraries for information.
Yes, the crime stats in Burlington are higher, but as mentioned, a lot of that is college related. I feel safe in Burlington.
Start checking out Seven Days online for jobs and the Free Press. Check out local business websites. Read/subscribe to Vermont business magazines such as The Champlain Business Journal and the Vermont Business Journal. These publications are great for keeping tabs on what is happening in the Vermont economy.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times
Burlington is nice. And the best thing about it is that it's so close to Vermont.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Thanks again. We're going to kick this idea around.
I've been up there once to go to the Aquarium & diner. Very nice.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Burlington is nice. And the best thing about it is that it's so close to Vermont.
That's a good way of putting it.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
The idea of Burlington having high (worrisome) crime is funny. Sure, things happen, but not much of it is random. And the media has nothing else to talk about so you hear more about crime when it happens. I think it is a very safe city comparatively to anywhere else I've lived, including in smaller cities near Albany.

Gypsy, if you haven't grabbed a 7 Days yet (print, not online), I recommend that on your next trip. It will give you a good idea of what there is to do up here. Feels like a lot more than a normal city this size. That's what I like.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,322 times
Default Just my $.02

If I were you, I'd RUN not walk out of Vermont. There are many other parts of the US that have a far more reasonable COL and the employment situation, while not great, is better. It took me just 18 months to realize these sad but true facts.
True, Vermont is a beautiful state but you can't eat the scenery. Might I put in a plug for the great state of Utah ? Outdoor activities abound. We are proximate to the North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Canyonlands, Moab and Bryce Canyon National Park not to mention that Las Vegas is a 2.5 hrs away. PM me if you need more info on SW Utah.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
GS, it wasn't readily apparent back then, but you probably chose one of the worst possible times to make a move to a state where good paying jobs are scarce. Your issues seem to be like those of a lot of people now, changing from "quality of life" to survival. Before it gets to a situation where your backs are against the wall, you might consider doing a nationwide job search for hubby and you, sucking it up for a couple of years and re-grouping. JMHO.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,044 times
I agree with Harry Chickpea. Look for a good job first, then move. Of course, you can cross off a few states/cities that would be absolutely out of the question, but America is a big, diverse country. There's something nice about virtually every state. Have you ever considered the Pacific Northwest? I know the economy has suffered a bit up there, but I don't think it's as bad as some other states. I've heard people often compare Washington state to Vermont. The winters are milder, but you do get snow, only not as much. It's not as cold, and winter isn't as long. And summers are great there - not a lot of humidity. It's a progressive state, yet there is an independence about it because of the relationship its residents have with their natural surroundings. The beauty is majestic and breath-taking. And, like Vermont, it's close to Canada. Western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia) is spectacular.

Last edited by looking4home; 11-11-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT