Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times

Advertisements

I agree with doing a national search as well. Every state has places as safe as anywhere in Vermont. Vermont often times gets sited as one of the safest states in the country, but there are a few things you need to consider. The population of Vermont is very small and most states have cities that rival Vermonts population (most large cities will increase a states total crime rate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Might I put in a plug for the great state of Utah ? Outdoor activities abound. We are proximate to the North rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Canyonlands, Moab and Bryce Canyon National Park not to mention that Las Vegas is a 2.5 hrs away. PM me if you need more info on SW Utah.
My husband and I love SW Utah. We actually considered moving to a town in the area NYtoVT describes: Kanab. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is in Kanab; because Best Friends such a large organization in a small town, it's had effects on the community that make it even more attractive to us. Can you imagine another town of +-2,500 that has several veg-friendly restaurants?! (Well, maybe in exclusive Northern California.) And pet-sitters galore. We also considered moving to SW Colorado, which we enjoyed tremendously.

Years ago, after several reconnaissance missions, we determined that we love to visit the SW, but the Northern New England landscape and culture feel like home to us and we're going to stay here. We've also made many wonderful connections with people and organizations here. It's difficult to imagine leaving them. Without those connections anchoring us, I can imagine we might seriously consider relocating to another place we love.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 11-12-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Thanks for the tips.
The basic thing is we have a child and I don't like the idea of jerking him out of school every 2-3 years while 'we find ourselves.' Our priority is his education and making sure he does well for his future.

However, I can't spend my life feeling defeated because there is nothing here for me. I'm sort of sad. I like Vermont but it's not the place I can see myself in forever.

The problem is, you can spend your whole life 'chasing' something and maybe never find it. Some of us are just restless souls. (hence the screen name).

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
GS, a few years ago I figured that I had moved at least 16 times in my adult life. That variety of environments has been more positive than negative towards my life skills. Kids who move a lot are forced to learn a lot more than those who are only exposed to a limited environment. Yeah, there can be problems, especially if there are special needs, but you have to look at your own well being before you can reasonably expect to give your best at helping the well being of a child or anyone else.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
We moved out of VT for economics and better schools. Had to find a new home for our husky it was tough but my daughter did fine. She still talks about VT and misses the bigger place and our dog but has a better school more kids, more stuff to do all around, and employed parents. My advice is to chase jobs to the extent required but don't sacrifice school quality on the way. As nice as VT is the deck is stacked against economic vitality. Good luck.
James Pethokoukis » Blog Archive » 12 reasons unemployment is going to (at least) 12 percent | Blogs |

Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,501,045 times
Have you exhausted your interest in southern Vermont? It's closer to NYC, and to other interesting places. You can fly to NYC from Burlington faster than you can drive there from southern Vermont, but the financial cost is much higher.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the job situation is here for your or your husband's fields.

Last edited by arel; 11-12-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Well, I think there is more going on in Burlington for us, Arel, then Southern VT and there is always a possibility of NY (upstate). I am not sure if people cross from Plattsburgh to Burlington for jobs but we may explore Plattsburgh as well. The housing is much cheaper than here.

I don't see why the UV is so high when there is really nothing here (apart from the 2 Dartmouths) to warrant it.

My son is pretty adaptive. He's been in 3 schools since we moved here!

Wherever we move, the dog comes with us!!!

We're going to just do some research and see what is what. I cannot imagine a place with less jobs than here and looking at cost of living, well, you guys up north pay less in utilities which are crippling here in the UV.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM

400 posts, read 849,805 times
Honestly, if I were planning uprooting my family/home because of a poor job prospects, I would move somewhere with noteably better job prospects. Moving to Burlington would have virtually all of the same opportunity costs of moving anywhere else while (maybe) providing a marginal improvement in job opportunities. Otherwise, you risk having to move again anyway for the same reasons. And moving in and of itself is a large financial burden.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Wherever we move, the dog comes with us!!!
A-men!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:23 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, true. Then again, look how many people live on LI (and demographics) then look up here.

I just went by what I found at Sperlings' site. They compare crime and where I live now is very crime free (on a scale of 1-10) it's a 1. Burlington came up a 7.

I am guessing a lot of that is 'college' crime.
Unless you're looking for Mayberry, Burlington is absolutely, totally, completely safe. Sure, some junkie might break into your car, but other than that there isn't much to worry about.
You won't get mugged, beat up, stabbed or shot. I promise. This is not West Baltimore.

P.S.
If by "college" crime you mean drunk kids pissing in the gutter, stay out of the ghetto (Green St. area) and you won't have a problem. On the other hand, if by "college crime" you mean Brian Rooney, that happens everywhere. People are crazy.
P.P.S.
There are no jobs here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT