Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

Well, we are seriously considering moving. (out of VT). It will be rough for my son but like I said, this is economic. I have only X number of years to make money and I can't sit here waiting for 'something' to open up when I have tried my damnest to chase work, volunteer, be nice and it's all been rebuffed.

Fortunately I have worked here so I have some references for the next place. (wherever that may be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, we are seriously considering moving. (out of VT). It will be rough for my son but like I said, this is economic. I have only X number of years to make money and I can't sit here waiting for 'something' to open up when I have tried my damnest to chase work, volunteer, be nice and it's all been rebuffed.

Fortunately I have worked here so I have some references for the next place. (wherever that may be).
This is such a difficult and challenging position to be in. I really hope you find what you need.

When we were considering relocating, everywhere we looked had its own unique economic environment and jobs (or lack thereof). The thing is, even if the overall economy and job situation seemed better than Vermont's, we'd still have to find ourselves specific jobs or business opportunities to support us. A better job/economic environment all by itself wasn't enough to guarantee us a place in it. I wasn't at all confident that we'd be able to find those opportunities soon enough after moving to prevent economic hardship.

Do you think you and your spouse would try to secure jobs and then move? Or maybe research areas to move to that promise what you seek, and then hope you find something? Just curious, because I found this question a real dilemma in relocating.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 AM

We've done this so many times.
Problem is, now our son and his education is the MAJOR consideration.
Also where we can work.
The other issue is it took us 3 years to move away from NY--we HAD to just pick up and go w/out jobs. Fortunately my husband got something straightaway.

One of us will have to have a job before we move.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
We've done this so many times.
Problem is, now our son and his education is the MAJOR consideration.
Also where we can work.
The other issue is it took us 3 years to move away from NY--we HAD to just pick up and go w/out jobs. Fortunately my husband got something straightaway.

One of us will have to have a job before we move.

I hear you. Looks like a lot of considerations need to fall into place.

You're a master's-level teacher, right? Do you need a license or have credentials that might be transferable to other states (perhaps with some hassle, but doable)?

Some professions are much more difficult to transfer between states than I think is warranted. Among other things, my husband and I are both bodyworkers. We love living in Vermont, one of the few unregulated states left for bodywork. Regulating massage/bodywork has not improved the profession, prevented prostitutes from posing as "massage" therapists, protected the public, or improved the services clients receive. However, it has cost bodyworkers a boatload of money in jumping through hoops to get their licenses and CEUs.

If Chris and I moved, we'd have to spend thousands of dollars to get into compliance with most states' massage regs, and it wouldn't improve our performance one iota.

This was supposed to be about you -- sorry about the OT rant! The point is, I hope you don't face anything like that.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 AM

My husband has 2 years now working in a hospital (materials/inventory) so maybe he can find something via a hospital.

We're just searching now by good special ed. schools. I also want to be near (15-30 minutes) to a bigger city so there are more opportunities/amenities. Less snow would also be nice.

Yes, I am a teacher so if I went back to NY State, I could find something. I am not sure what I will do. I keep working on my writing. Hopefully someday where I live won't matter since I want to work (as a writer) from home.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I keep working on my writing. Hopefully someday where I live won't matter since I want to work (as a writer) from home.

A writing position that can be worked from home:

Best Friends Animal Society - Current Jobs

Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM

914 posts, read 2,918,132 times
That's very nice of you to pass on that job posting Sherylcatmom! I was also thinking of other things GS22 could do from home, and one that came to mind was medical transcriptionist. The profession is going through some changes right now, but there is still a need for this all over the U.S. You can take on-line courses that will give you the certification you need. I have a friend who does this for a local hospital and it is a very good income. She works at the hospital, but could work from home if she wanted to.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I was also thinking of other things GS22 could do from home, and one that came to mind was medical transcriptionist.
That's such a great idea! I've considered getting that cert myself to become more marketable in difficult times. I've done audio-recording transcription as a free-lancer and a volunteer for museums, psychiatric facilities, spiritual centers, and more. I thought it was a lot of fun though I could also see it becoming a grind after many hours. Still, far preferable to no work.

Gypsy, what do you think? Does transcription appeal to you, perhaps as a stop-gap?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
TX has an unemployment rate of 5% and they had billions in tax surplus last year.
Yeah, but you have to live in TX - LOL. Northern VA has the same economic conditions if not better, more plentiful jobs, higher salaries, better schools, more picturesque geography, and many more cultural amenities.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,329 times
Quote:

I'm leaving the state as well. Just no jobs for those with degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT