Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times

Advertisements

After 2 years, even the hubby has come to his breaking point.
We've decided to try and research Burlington/that area or get out of Vermont.

The main concerns are jobs (we'd make sure one of us had one before moving) and the schools (special ed.).

We are finding this area 'too quiet' and 'with very little opportunity.' We've exhausted 'things to do' and mainly just frequent the library, since we paid to belong.

I am a little alarmed by the crime in Burlington but I suppose a lot of that is college related.

I know there are lots of Burlington threads but at this point, I am just confused.
If we don't move somewhere in VT, I have no clue where we'd go (not back to NY).

Any advice or input? Frankly, I am just tired of trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
I forget, where are you now?

Burlington will have more jobs than most of the rest of the state, but it's very different living there than most other parts too...

I couldn't stand BUrlington personally. I moved to the Rutland area from the NEK for work instead of Burlington because of family here (they couldn't take the colder winters up North anymore and wanted to be closer to a hospital in case of emergencies, and found it more affordable here than elsewhere) and it's not as unbearable as Burlington for me (I'm about 15 minutes from good hunting/trapping spots and only a few minutes from rural spots in general). But Rutland has been hit hard so I wouldn't suggest you do the same. I'm considering getting back to the NEK even, if that tells you anything about the economy here. Crime is picking up here too. Muggings lately and recently an out of stater shot at a cop.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
I'm surprised you mention crime Gypsy...I would figure the crime wouldn't even come close to what we have down here on LI...

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I'm surprised you mention crime Gypsy...I would figure the crime wouldn't even come close to what we have down here on LI...
Yes, true. Then again, look how many people live on LI (and demographics) then look up here.

I just went by what I found at Sperlings' site. They compare crime and where I live now is very crime free (on a scale of 1-10) it's a 1. Burlington came up a 7.

I am guessing a lot of that is 'college' crime.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, true. Then again, look how many people live on LI (and demographics) then look up here.

I just went by what I found at Sperlings' site. They compare crime and where I live now is very crime free (on a scale of 1-10) it's a 1. Burlington came up a 7.

I am guessing a lot of that is 'college' crime.
A lot of it is college crime, and Burlington attracts some more of the wrong types from the bigger cities in NY (bigger market for drugs you see)...

Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A lot of it is college crime, and Burlington attracts some more of the wrong types from the bigger cities in NY (bigger market for drugs you see)...
That's what I figured, thank you.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
That's what I figured, thank you.
You'd probably be pretty safe there. I always carry a gun when I'm there, but then I do that everywhere, FWIW. Just avoid the wrong types. The crime isn't the reason I don't like Burlington so much as other things.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Employment is a big issue all over the US. A good friend who is a pharmacist is having problems find a job after relocating; another in construction is also having problems. No matter where you choose to go, make sure you have a job first.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:36 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You'd probably be pretty safe there. I always carry a gun when I'm there, but then I do that everywhere, FWIW. Just avoid the wrong types. The crime isn't the reason I don't like Burlington so much as other things.
Me too. I always carry a gun in Burlington, but then I carry a gun everywhere. I don't see Burlington as particularly dangerous.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,045 times
TX has an unemployment rate of 5% and they had billions in tax surplus last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT