Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 22,967 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to VT.

I've done a good deal of research on South Burlington schools and real estate.

Can anyone talk to me about the Shelburn area. We have an 8th grader.

There seems to be more housing available in the Shelburn area vs. South Burlington. Another town would be Hinesbury?

Main goal is that our son is happy, able to continue with a high standard of education that he currently gets. Good soccer program & snowboarding (snowboarding is a given, I know).

TIA for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM

894 posts, read 1,566,756 times
Where are you moving from? Got a job in VT?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 10,167 times
I am surprised that there seems to be more real estate available in Shelburne than in South Burlington, as South Burlington is 2+ times larger in population. This could be dependent on a particular segement of the market. Shelburne, might have more properties in the upper end of our market.

As far as education goes, both South Burlington and Shelburne have very good schools. In terms of a soccer program CVU(Champlain Valley Union H.S. of which Shelburne is 1 of the 5 affilated towns) has consistently had the strongest program in the state. I helped a family move from Texas with 2 sons, when they were 10 and 11 year old, looking for what you were looking for. They chose Shelburne. Their sons later became key members to winning the State Championships in their respective years. Both sons have graduated and they are still in the home we found them 10 or 11 years ago. Hinesburg is part of CVU and where the HS is actually located.

We have one son who is a sophomore, in Burlington(a more diverse community, but not for everyone). The Greater Burlington area get kudos all the time and recently was rated the #1 place to raise kids. So I think and hope your son will be happy wherever you might land here! I also mention that we live in Burlington so that it is clear I do not have a bias of one town over the other.

If you are willing to share where you are moving from, this can be helpful in determing what areas might best suit you. Are looking for a suburban, semi-suburban or rural area?

Last edited by vter; 11-20-2009 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: No RE advertising

Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 22,967 times
We are moving from the upper Midwest and yes, there is an employment opportunity. We are use to severe cold and long winters, short summers, many mosquitoes

The areas we are looking at are Shelburne and South Burlington. We don't want to live rural, but a small town would be okay, just not too small!

Its difficult to look at housing on the internet! Comparison shopping - VT is more expensive for less house.

I guess Middlebury (?) is also an option.

Thanks again for your replies.

Last edited by Jet1980; 11-20-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,148,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1980 View Post
The areas we are looking at are Shelburne and South Burlington. We don't want to live rural, but a small town would be okay, just not too small!
Shelburne is adorable and actually has a downtown, a feeling that there is a center of town. I'm partial to a walkable cohesive town and funky old Vermont houses, so between Shelburne & S. Burlington, I'd pick Shelburne.

South Burlington is all suburban sprawl as far as I can tell. That said, our friends who live in one of the many developments off Dorset Street in
South Burlington are happily raising three kids there. Their kids have always had a pack of kids to run with. They have wonderful neighbors who have become good friends and created a sense of community. It's not for me but it doesn't seem to suck either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT