Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,614 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of relocating to Williston and wanted to ask what readers think of Williston schools and CVU? My kids are very average in both academics and athletics (must be genetic) and we're just looking for a district that's safe, friendly, welcoming to non-natives with strong parental involvement.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Both have good reputations. CVU is one of the largest high schools in the state, with about 1400 students. In addition to good academics they also have good athletics, especially soccer. Lots of folks "from away" live in the district so you'll have no problems there. Very safe.
We have a regular poster here (momnh I think is here name) that has kids in the Williston schools so hopefully she'll see this and chime in!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
I love Williston. We moved here from out of state a year ago. Our kids are elementary school age. What I love a lot is how the two elementary/middle schools are located right in teh center of town and how the town invested in bike paths between them. It creates a very family-centric vibe in town. Little league, soccer, winter ice-skating, farmers market, parades, 5k races, ANYTHING, is all right there rather than spread out. And Williston has a lot of families so it's generally a kid-centric place anyway.

We've been happy with Allen Brook school so far. We have great email access to the teachers and they are very communicative about things going on with our son.

I wish CVU was in Williston since it will be a pain in the high school years to be 20-25 minutes away, especially with after school activities, sports, etc. However, the high school kids in my neighborhood really like the school and all seem like pretty good kids so I get the sense it is a good school that provides good opportunities and a safe environment.

Hope that helps.

Oh, for grades 1-8, be aware that Williston offers a house system, and two tracks - either two grades mixed together, or two successive years with the same teacher (looping). I like the house system and I like the opportunity to choose which track is best for my son. We're doing the multi-age groups because he is oldest in his grade (September birthday), and needs to be challenged by older kids academically, but still has the social needs and outlets that are appropriate for his grade.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,614 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the schools and town would be a good fit for us (I have 2 kids ages 10 and 6). Finding housing there seems to be a bit of a challenge though...

Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 AM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
Yes, it's a challenge. Pricing has held up fairly well. We're in Brennan Woods. I have heard of houses there dropping to the $375k price range recently though, from the low 400s.

Pleasant Acres is also experiencing pricing declines, in the mid 200's, and is still in a good spot - along a new bike path that connects to both schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT