Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 AM

54 posts, read 166,928 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here has any direct contact with the Williston school system? I have 2 kids ages 8 and 5 and while I haven't heard anything negative about Allen Brook and Williston Central school, I don't hear anyone raving about them like I do with South Burlington and Shelburne. We like some of the housing in Williston but really want great schools also so we're kind of torn on what to do.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 03:15 PM

84 posts, read 242,168 times
Don't know about the schools....but FYI, I don't know if you have considered this but if you move to Williston, you could be right in the path of the airports flight paths. That might not bother you, but thought that I would just put it out there. When we were looking to relocate there our realtor was nice enough to point that out to us.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the flight path info. Can anyone help with the schools? There must be someone...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

119 posts, read 565,218 times
Our kids did not go to Williston schools, but I know from doing fundraisers with those schools as a direct seller that the parents are very involved, love their schools and the staff always were very positive. I would recommend it. By the way, not all of Williston is in the flight path of the airport. Just an FYI ,

Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 116,560 times
As a long-time Williston resident with my children well-educated in the school system, I can assure you that Williston has a fine and broad curriculum with great teachers and a very supportive community. A big portion of our taxes goes to support the schools. Grade schools (2) are set up in an innovative "house" system where small groups of students in each of 3 to 4 grade levels are grouped together in the same classroom and are taught in this environment by the same group of dedicated teachers as they progress through each grade level in the school. Multiple classrooms with similar grade levels are set up in this way and the number of students per classroom meets state standards (not a large number of students per classroom.) This concept has been a bit controversial to the thinking of some parents of children in the school system because it is not traditional, but overall has been proven successful. One positive feedback of this concept is that younger children benefit from nurturing by the older children in the same classroom and this helps younger children mature. From their own education gained from being taught their lessons in previous years, the older children in the classroom give positive support to younger children having any difficulty with their lessons. There has been an article recently about the "house" program in the Williston Observer, our local weekly community paper. You can access the article through the internet or contact the school system directly through the internet for more information.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Thank you for the responses and feedback everyone.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,705 times
I read this in the Williston Observer yesterday.

WillistonObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT