Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times

Advertisements

Sheryl gave you tons of good info! I think Montpelier's farmers market is year round, as is the one in Morrisville now...

I highly recommend reading those books as it's such an eye opener it's scary. You think you know something until you really find out the whole story.

Some more good resources are the movies King Corn and Food Inc...

Keep in mind that beef in the supermarket packaging has been filled with gas to keep it red and looking 'good'...

Here is another resource for pasture raised chickens, pork and grass fed beef...
Vermont - Eat Wild
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
TKLN, VT'er, Sheryl, thanks for the great advice, you put a lot of time into it.

I've been doing a lot of reading and that's why I've decided to act fast and drastically. Chemicals, pesticides, hormones - the proof is in the pudding, our government is allowing us to eat toxic chemicals.

I recently read an article about the chemicals in plastic and that spurred me into action. No more heating plastic in a micro-wave or cooking with teflon.

Good lord I'm tired of hearing about family and friends getting cancer.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
You also need to watch out for some of the aluminum water containers people are using more often these days. Test on aluminum drink bottles (http://www.reusablebags.com/news.php?action=details&id=144 - broken link) Not as safe as once thought. There was a report out about the aluminum bottles with the brass type neck. They were found to be coated with the same type of cancer causing agent found in plastic bottles.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,885 times
Default Grow your own organic food.

Grow your own and you will not look back. Learning how to grow may not be as hard as you think. Having source of non toxic organic fertilizers is your first step. Your second step is to learn about your climate and third, what do you want to grow?

Last edited by vter; 12-27-2009 at 05:05 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 AM

274 posts, read 673,965 times
I am reading a really good book right now from Barbara Kingsolver. I highly recommend it. I don't know if you know her but she is one of my favorite novelists, and she decided to write this non-fiction with her biologist husband. She and her family moved from Tucson to Apalachia to live on local foods for one year once they got sick of processed foods and for what living in Tucson does to the natural water supply. There is a lot of interesting info in it about what really goes on in the food industry.
Amazon.com: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (9780060852559): Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp: Books

Old 12-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in USA View Post
Grow your own and you will not look back. Learning how to grow may not be as hard as you think. Having source of non toxic organic fertilizers is your first step. Your second step is to learn about your climate and third, what do you want to grow?
Our growing season is unbelievably short here. We're lucky to get tomatoes by mid July. I'll try a wider assortment of vegetables this year.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I am reading a really good book right now from Barbara Kingsolver. I highly recommend it. I don't know if you know her but she is one of my favorite novelists, and she decided to write this non-fiction with her biologist husband. She and her family moved from Tucson to Apalachia to live on local foods for one year once they got sick of processed foods and for what living in Tucson does to the natural water supply. There is a lot of interesting info in it about what really goes on in the food industry.
Amazon.com: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (9780060852559): Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp: Books
Looks interesting Mom- I see she has several books, should I start with this one.

I officially started buying organic today. Those organic bananas and apples aren't as pretty as the standard ones.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Looks interesting Mom- I see she has several books, should I start with this one.

I officially started buying organic today. Those organic bananas and apples aren't as pretty as the standard ones.

Congratulations on beginning your journey! I love the imperfect look of naturally-grown produce. If it's too perfect looking, I'm suspicious.

BTW, I just got several pounds of organic bananas at the local discount food store for $0.39 per pound! That's right, thirty-nine cents per pound. They are delicious.

All Barbara Kingsolver's books are excellent. Animal Vegetable, Miracle is the only book she's written that's nonfiction about growing food and eating local food and why to avoid factory-farmed animals and vegetables.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Interesting article in the latest Seven Days.

Know Where Your Organic Food Comes From? Maybe China | Seven Days

Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Interesting article in the latest Seven Days.

Know Where Your Organic Food Comes From? Maybe China | Seven Days
This is partly why we choose local over organic. When we know how local farmers actually grow the food, we don't care about a "certified organic" label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT