Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times

Advertisements

Sheryl - does your co-op list where the bulk food comes from? This is one thing that I've yet to encounter in most places...I've known about vegetables coming from China (Trader Joe's garlic has been from China for years) but didn't know about the organic vegetables and beans, etc. That's bothersome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Sheryl - does your co-op list where the bulk food comes from? This is one thing that I've yet to encounter in most places...I've known about vegetables coming from China (Trader Joe's garlic has been from China for years) but didn't know about the organic vegetables and beans, etc. That's bothersome.
Isn't that annoying? Our co-op lists the origins of the bulk product, either right on the container or in a book we can refer to. There's usually knowledgeable staff people around for when we have questions.

Our co-op stocks as much as possible from local producers, then regional, then spreading outward to wherever the product is available. I buy Vermont oats, Vermont black beans, Vermont sunflower oil, etc.

Next time I go in I'll ask whether anything comes from China and how far afield they'll buy bulk foods from.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Our co-op has also reduced the markup on local foods. From our co-op's newsletter:

http://www.rutlandcoop.com/coop_spri..._newletter.pdf
"Bulk also allows us to offer locally-grown foods, from small farms that don’t have the resources to package and label, keeping food grown in the region available for sale in the region. These products are always fresher, and because they are not shipped as far or stored for as long, they most often cost less than grains grown on larger farms out west."

http://www.rutlandcoop.com/winter2008.pdf
"The BEER & WINE area is continuously being refreshed
with new selections, including wine from small-scale
sustainable sources like Vermont's own Montcalm and
Honora."

"The BREAD rack is looking (and tasting) better every week. Nancy is doing a great job, working with bakers to
offer the best of local bread and answer members’ requests for their favorite varieties."

They also offer demos & cooking classes in the beautiful new commercial kitchen:

"Join us in the kitchen of the Rutland Natural Food
Market: The Co-op and learn about delicious
meals made from locally grown ingredients."

"The winners of October’s Recipe Contest using local ingredients with an emphasis on nutritional value, ease
of preparing, and affordability were: 1st place: Anne Marie Havel --- 2nd place: Susan Davidson --- 3rd
place: Dot Gray. CONGRATULATIONS!! Copies of all their recipes are in our display for your enjoyment."

Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
That's really great!! I know some of the CSA's up there that I wanted to join included a lot of local bulk foods, but it's good to know if I need to, I can drive to Rutland to store up on some other stuff!

Um, of course, this is all AFTER we move.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
That's really great!! I know some of the CSA's up there that I wanted to join included a lot of local bulk foods, but it's good to know if I need to, I can drive to Rutland to store up on some other stuff!

Um, of course, this is all AFTER we move.
Well, I hope you make it up here and feel very welcome. The Rutland Co-op is a highlight of living here for us. We spend a ton of time there, as well as at the weekly indoor farmers market, which for now continues in the old theatre space at the back of the co-op. Both are bedrocks of community connections, good food, contributing to the commonweal, and fun.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:44 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Interesting article in the latest Seven Days.

Know Where Your Organic Food Comes From? Maybe China | Seven Days
I read an article that quoted a research study that found that the health benefits of eating organic food are negligible. There might be a some benefits, but is it worth paying twice as much as regular food? No.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I read an article that quoted a research study that found that the health benefits of eating organic food are negligible. There might be a some benefits, but is it worth paying twice as much as regular food? No.

Organic is better not only for those who eat it, but also for those growing it and for the land itself. It doesn't cost twice as much to eat organic. Further, our taxes subsidize big agribusiness and factory-farmed animals and vegetables -- the prices are artificially low.

That's one study and one article. Conventional agriculture is big business with a huge stake in convincing people that organic is no better. What was the study comparing? Pre-ripe-picked organic vegetables trucked for hundreds or thousands of miles? Or fresh-from-the-ground locally-grown and -consumed organic veggies?

All organic isn't wonderful. Some is shipped in from across the world, losing nutrients by the day. In many cases, huge companies get their products Certified Organic and there's no oversight to ensure compliance.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 12-30-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM

274 posts, read 673,965 times
It's worth paying for to avoid risk, especially for small children whose bodies can't absorb chemicals like ours can. And we live in an agricultural state so it is also worth supporting our own economy. But to each his own...obviously. Unfortunately though we'll all be paying for rising medical costs as our population gets fatter and unhealthier from processed food.

BY the way, I don't recall this thread being started to debate organic food though. Quickdraw asked for help on how to eat more organic.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
BY the way, I don't recall this thread being started to debate organic food though. Quickdraw asked for help on how to eat more organic.
Oh, right! Thanks for getting us back on track.

I made my own seitan from organic vital wheat gluten, which I bought in bulk at the co-op. It was ridiculously cheap and easy and SO delicious. When it was ready, I stuffed myself with it. There was plenty left over to make a big veggie-seitan stew, which I froze in portion-sized containers. I'm enjoying one of those right now. Mmmmmmm!!!

Here's the recipe I used.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Do as our gradparents did is great advice. Organic food is not some new invention. After the second world war is when much of the genetically altered seeds, artifical fertilizers and pesticides came into play. Before this food was grown organically.
The best method is eat what you can grow organically. The next best method is to buy organic foods. With Vermonts short grwing season it is a little harder, but it is possible and it doesn't take hours and hours everyday to accomplish. The key is to use heirloom seeds. The nutritional value is much higher than what you can buy from a farmer who grows organically. Heirloom seeds are much harder to grow well. The plants are more susceptible to diseases and the like. Most organic farmers don't use herlooms because if they have a problem with a plant or two, it can spread through the whole crop and not only wipe out one type of vegitable, but others as well. The key is not just to eat organically, but to eat foods with higher nutritional value. USDA figures show a decline in mineral and vitamin content of several fruits and vegetables between 1914, 1963, and 1992. The easy way is buy organically during the winter and grow what you can during the spring, summer and fall. Even a conainer with a tomato plant or two is a great start.
My family comes from an island off the coast of Italy where the average life span is about 100 years. We have always eaten organic growing up. The other thing is consider what grows naturally in your own yard or surrounding area. Dandelion greens are a key crop and are free. In the spring they are less bitter and make a great salad. Some medical research has shown that bitter tasting greens have a higher cancer fighting element. Possibly why Greeks and Italians live so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT