Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The key is not just to eat organically, but to eat foods with higher nutritional value.
I agree with this. Eating processed foods made from organic ingredients doesn't cut it. Since I replaced processed foods (e.g., breads & pastas -- even whole grain) with actual whole foods (e.g., rice, millet, potatoes), I feel significantly better and get sick even less than I did before. While I'm not extremely thin, I'm effortlessly a healthy weight and eat as much as I want.

Quote:
My family comes from an island off the coast of Italy where the average life span is about 100 years. We have always eaten organic growing up. The other thing is consider what grows naturally in your own yard or surrounding area. Dandelion greens are a key crop and are free. In the spring they are less bitter and make a great salad. Some medical research has shown that bitter tasting greens have a higher cancer fighting element. Possibly why Greeks and Italians live so long.

How wonderful! I'm guessing you grew up with some delicious foods. Maybe you even continue to eat this way. I love dandelion greens and other bitter greens.

Lately I buy bunches of kale every week at the farmers market and make kale chips. More delicious than any snack chip I've ever had and so healthy!

Rutland County farmers are doing an amazing job extending the growing season. Honestly, my husband and I can't remember how we ate all winter before the weekly winter market started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I agree with this. Eating processed foods made from organic ingredients doesn't cut it. Since I replaced processed foods (e.g., breads & pastas -- even whole grain) with actual whole foods (e.g., rice, millet, potatoes), I feel significantly better and get sick even less than I did before. While I'm not extremely thin, I'm effortlessly a healthy weight and eat as much as I want.

How wonderful! I'm guessing you grew up with some delicious foods. Maybe you even continue to eat this way. I love dandelion greens and other bitter greens.

Lately I buy bunches of kale every week at the farmers market and make kale chips. More delicious than any snack chip I've ever had and so healthy!

Rutland County farmers are doing an amazing job extending the growing season. Honestly, my husband and I can't remember how we ate all winter before the weekly winter market started.
Growing up with this type of lifestyle tends to stick with you. my grandmother did not drift to many of the Italian-American dishes that many immigrants ended up doing. I do eat poultry, but the staple meat in the area my family is from is rabbit. Many of the greens that were prepared were easy to grow like broccoli rabe or could be found growing wild like dandelion. The key to Italian cooking is the recipies are very simple and the ingredients have to be fresh. With a little practice mozzarella is as easy to make as bread.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
I have made ricotta at home a few times, and have been wanting to try mozzarella...it's next on my list.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Green Living Now author & researcher Amy Todisco of Huntington, Vermont offers this new resource book for $19.95: Organic Food on a Budget (http://www.greenlivingnow.com/ebookpitch.htm - broken link)

Amy's Green Living Now e-newsletter (http://www.greenlivingnow.com/newsletter.htm - broken link) is free and I learn a ton from it. At that link you can look through previous issues and, about 2/3 of the way down the page, sign up to receive it.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Dandelion greens are a key crop and are free.

I need to walk before I run

Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
With a little practice mozzarella is as easy to make as bread.

Speaking of bread, how much of it do you eat? I've been toying with the idea of getting an outdoor bread oven. I'm addicted to Red Hen Mad River Grain bread. It's organic, but I'm eating too much of it.

I was disappointed to hear that the majority of their breads are not made of Vermont wheat. I think they have at least one loaf for people who want local wheat, but much of it is from Kansas.

I've lived in a lot of places and Red Hen is my favorite bread anywhere.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
You know what the biggest seller of organic food is?

Wal-Mart.

As my son says, local is the new organic.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You know what the biggest seller of organic food is?

Wal-Mart.

As my son says, local is the new organic.

Good for your son. Wal-Mart capitalizing on organic according to the letter of the law while trampling on the spirit makes me a tad crazy.

BTW, a coworker and I met at Healthy Living in S. Burlington yesterday because it has food, is open late, and has free wifi. I had a delicious meal. However, the store is beyond huge! After our meeting I'd intended to walk the aisles and maybe pick up a few things. But the store's vastness felt impersonal and excessive. It made me long for our wonderful Rutland Co-op, which at a fraction of the size has everything we need. I left empty-handed. I'd meet & eat at Healthy Living again though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT