Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM

226 posts, read 695,155 times

Advertisements

I live on $34k a year just fine, but I could be (and will be) making double that elsewhere when I move. Just save your pennies & cut a few financial corners - live in Winooski or S. Burlington instead of Burlington (my rent for my fancy 1BR apartment in Burlington was $100 more expensive than my current 3BR duplex in the 'Noosk & it's still an easy walk/drive/bus to Burlington), eat out at Our House instead of Trattoria Delia, & shop at Shaw's or Price Chopper instead of City Market or Healthy Living. It can be done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,558,469 times
I've never heard of a great disrespect of nurses, it's a shame you've run into that. I have friends who are nurses and they handily out-earn most of the rest of us, more jobs available, more opportunities.

It's my understanding that police jobs are harder to get, much scarcer, and you really need an "in" for them.

Again, just my read on it here in the Hanover/Lebanon area (I'm right on the VT/NH border)

https://www.healthcaresource.com/dar...3395a625473261

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 32,712 times
I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions...its been my experience time and again, that NOBODY has respect for a guy who's a nurse, no matter what...Sure there are opportunities but unless you're a guy in the nursing field, You dont know what its like. Park Slope, Brooklyn is supposed to be oh-so tolerant and they're all just full of sh*t. Id just like to have some pride in what i do. Regarding the economic situation in Vermont, it reminds me of Ireland in the 70s - kinda like one big folk park but not a place you can make money...i do make money but the shrew like existence is getting me down. But there is good news - I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance...yada yada.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 57,242 times
Hey all. I'm in the same boat but have a lead on a Police Position in the Manchester area. Any thoughts on the Cost of living or the area itself? I'm in the lead for a position and want to get as much information for the interview as possible.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:03 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,674,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy-cop1965 View Post
I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions...its been my experience time and again, that NOBODY has respect for a guy who's a nurse, no matter what...Sure there are opportunities but unless you're a guy in the nursing field, You dont know what its like. Park Slope, Brooklyn is supposed to be oh-so tolerant and they're all just full of sh*t. Id just like to have some pride in what i do. Regarding the economic situation in Vermont, it reminds me of Ireland in the 70s - kinda like one big folk park but not a place you can make money...i do make money but the shrew like existence is getting me down. But there is good news - I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance...yada yada.
I think it may jusy be where you are working now. I am not a nurse but my wife is a nurse as well as many of my friends and I work with nurses and do training for them as well as MDs. I have never seen any disrespect. I have worked in healthcare for twenty years in many different states including NYC (Manhattan). My opinion police officers get more disrespect than nurses by far. When is the last time anyone ever said "That cop who gave me the $250 speeding ticket was a great guy." It's more like "What a fu#*$ing a$#%ole." Vermont is a low crime state and the majority of what police do is traffic duty, respond to calls (where they do get respect I'm sure). I live in the second most populated town in Vermont and an aveage week in the police blog is traffic violations, responding to false alarms and assisting the ambulance service for medical emergencies. The point I'm trying to get at is you will get respect in both jobs here, but I think if most of what you will be doing is handing out tickets, you may not be happier than you are right now.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 32,712 times
Yeah...you're probably right. I got into nursing for the money and thats not enough any more. Maybe its just that i want to do a 'guy' thing. Hey - not one person jumped all over me for saying that Vermont is like 'one big folk park'!!! Actually it reminds me a lot of Galway Bay, where i grew up, Burlington, that is. I do like to be near the water. I remember that barge on the water, which is like a bar - restaurant. The whole idea of being near the water and taking the ferry everyday sounds really cool...in winter im sure its incredibly cool, as in freezing. There are people who commute from their homes in Plattsburgh across the lake everyday. It reminds me of the time when I was working in Staten Island, New York and i used to take the ferry to work everyday...there was a bar on the ferry and i could sit there with a cool one after my shift...seriously i thought i was in heaven! Paddy Heaven, that is. Must be the Irish in me or maybe just a serious case of rose colored (pint) glasses...

Old 05-22-2010, 05:25 AM

22 posts, read 62,066 times
I'm surprised no one else has commented on this so far...but if you're fed up with being around diversity, please don't come to Burlington, VT to work in human services. True, we have a small minority population, but the population that we do have is very vulnerable because they are such a minority (many of them refugees who have survived the unspeakable) and most white Vermonters don't have a lot of experience with diversity. Because the change in the ethnic make-up has been very recent, we need nurses and police officers that care a great deal about helping those most vulnerable and have the skills to help all Vermonters adapt to the changing ethnic make-up here.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:15 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,583,044 times
There's more than one kind of "diversity" and what someone experiences in the "projects" (OP's words) in NYC would probably not be particularly pleasant as an experence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT