Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times

Advertisements

I'm don't have hte resources and am too scared to quit my 9-5 and start a business full time as my sole income maker so have been thinking of ways where I can keep my 9-5 and make some extra money and kind of see how a business works out and if it could be a money maker.

My idea was to buy an old junker truck. I have a buddy who collects unemployment all winter so I coudl pay him cash and it wouldn't matter to him whether I had a full 40 hour work week for him each week, if I dont have work for him he'd just be sitting around anyway.

So here's my idea. Buy an old junker truck and have a junk removal business. In addition to this pick up scrap metal on garbage days and maybe put a plow on the front and do some plowing as well.

Now I know this is kind of more like hustling than an actual business but just kind of want to test the waters and figure with a truck Id go after every income stream I could from plowing to junk removal to maybe even getting hired out for stuff like picking up and deliving mulch in the summers.

My backup plan for getting money would be driving around on garbage days and picking up scrap metal to turn in. Everything from old appliances to cans. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what some common items pay at a scrap yard. Basically curious about old hot water heater, washer/dryer, old swing set, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
I guess an old water heater does die and the installer does haul
the old one away. What did happen with me, trash does not pick this up! Maybe put an ad
in the local paper saying you would do it. I am not so sure it would really pay you? I am not sure
the trash person even does pick this up and it would be way too heavy also. Good idea but not on
trash day since the truck and etc. does not take this?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
I'm don't have hte resources and am too scared to quit my 9-5 and start a business full time as my sole income maker so have been thinking of ways where I can keep my 9-5 and make some extra money and kind of see how a business works out and if it could be a money maker.

My idea was to buy an old junker truck. I have a buddy who collects unemployment all winter so I coudl pay him cash and it wouldn't matter to him whether I had a full 40 hour work week for him each week, if I dont have work for him he'd just be sitting around anyway.

So here's my idea. Buy an old junker truck and have a junk removal business. In addition to this pick up scrap metal on garbage days and maybe put a plow on the front and do some plowing as well.

Now I know this is kind of more like hustling than an actual business but just kind of want to test the waters and figure with a truck Id go after every income stream I could from plowing to junk removal to maybe even getting hired out for stuff like picking up and deliving mulch in the summers.

My backup plan for getting money would be driving around on garbage days and picking up scrap metal to turn in. Everything from old appliances to cans. Just wondering if anyone has an idea what some common items pay at a scrap yard. Basically curious about old hot water heater, washer/dryer, old swing set, etc.
he also may get off unemployment if found out and
the old truck does need insurance and gas for the drive arounds? Also any
business will need to be approved and run that way. Money it does mean
and a salary reported to Uncle Sam! Also when people get water heater etc., they pay to have it taken away the trash person does not do it! I wish you luck and maybe an ad in the paper as what you want will work!

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-17-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post

Also keep in mind that in some areas it is against the law to remove trash that is put out for recycling because once put out it is owned by the trash collectors.

I sometimes replace patio covers and I haul the old one to the recycle yard and depending on the size I get between $300 and $500 for the old one.

And to think that we used to trash them makes me wonder how much money I tossed away.

busta

Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Here is a link to current scrap prices Current Primary and Scrap Metal Prices - LME (London Metal Exchange), COMEX, NYMEX, Copper, Aluminum, Nickel, Tin, Lead, Zinc, Iron, Steel, Specialty Steel, Stainless Steel, Nickel Alloy, Chrome, Titanium, Ferrochrome, Cobalt, Molybdenum, Antimony, P
Bear in mind though, if you haul it to a scrapper - you won't get that price. They are a middle man and will take their cut for processing. Best to call a scrapper in your area and ask what he gives for scrap.

We scrap cars sometimes (we have a trailer), haul them down to the junkyard, but scrap prices are low now and we haven't done it in a while. If you do this, be sure you get the title signed off from the owner.

I don't think you can collect trash from the curb. In most states, it's illegal. But you can advertise that you will haul away old scrap. If the owner calls you and hires you, it's fine.
Refrigerators that might have freon take special handling for disposal. Watch out for that.

We utilized a scrap hauler when we were moving and had to clear 2.5 acres of old wood, scrap metal, fencing, plastic, etc. We piled it in several piles and hired three guys with a big truck to come and haul it off to the dump for us. Cost was about $300 and well worth it.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You want my opinion? If you came around here, I would meet you at the property line with a quick discussion of how much the lead in my bullets were worth. You would be allowed to see them down the tube of something I'd be holding in my hand.

You are talking about theft, having a friend help you steal while he stole form the taxpayers, and flaunting laws designed to prevent hazardous materials escaping the waste stream. I'd say your idea is ill-considered at best.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
We had a clean up week a couple of times a year in eastern Iowa, where it's ok to put out appliances, tv's and monitors, paint cans, furniture, anything really...You put them out on your regular trash day. That's about the only time I'd see junkers out and about. I don't think it was illegal, or at least no one bothered them. Any other time they probably don't make enough to cover the cost of gas.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You want my opinion? If you came around here, I would meet you at the property line with a quick discussion of how much the lead in my bullets were worth. You would be allowed to see them down the tube of something I'd be holding in my hand.

You are talking about theft, having a friend help you steal while he stole form the taxpayers, and flaunting laws designed to prevent hazardous materials escaping the waste stream. I'd say your idea is ill-considered at best.
First off its hard to take people seriously when they try to act tough over a computer.

Secondly garbage is on the parkway which is city property not your property so it has nothing to do with property lines.

Thirdly if you did pull a gun on somene you would be arrested and have your foid card taken from you for being an idiot.

And lastly its not theft, garbage pickers come around all the time, its actually better this way as the scrap metal gets recycled rather than just thrown into a dump. Its also not stealing as once its on the curb its public property.

Have an idea what your talking about before you start typing.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
We have a scraping business come to our business the first week of each month.

I feel they do a great service, do not charge and it keeps the back of the building clean.

They always get a big truck load old casing, tanks, pumps and pitless pieces....

Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
The fact that you are hiring someone to do the work tells me there will be little money in it for you.

( referring to the OP )

There is a reason people pay to have old appliances hauled away.

If it is a private person taking them, they usually are just pocketing the money and hauling and storing them on their 40 acre eyesore.

I agree with harry chickpea !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business