Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times

Advertisements

I have been an E Bay Buyer and Seller for 6 years and I just have to say they are getting to the point that I cannot take it much longer.

Has anyone tried to contact the Customer Service lately via their Home Page ???
Seems there is no hope of talking to anyone any more.
They have disconnected most all of there contact phones and I even called Pay Pal to get help to no avail....
I can't even get in touch with them to complain or find out whats going on.
I spent 3 hrs. today alone making that effort from every angle including Google etc.

What kind of a Company would do this to their Customers/Buyers/Sellers without telling them whats going on??

DISPICABLE BEHAVIOR ....Thats what.

And they say they want your Business !!!!!

What a Joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,309,098 times
The customer service at Ebay is so god awful. Just awful. I have no idea how they have any customers left. They drove off the sellers and since so many buyers are also sellers, they don't want to deal with them either.

I am sure they aren't hurting, but I will never use them again and I know I am not the only one.

I would love to see another alternative spring up (in addition to craigslist). I would welcome the change Ebay doesn't deserve to be in business IMO.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Pretty standard business model for a lot of businesses.
Stage 1
Initial flush of growth, highly leveraged, growing pains, decent relations with customers as the act gets together. High interest and energy.

Stage 2
Mature company, board gets really concerned over the stock price rather than the mission statement.
Things coast along until the stock begins to flatten or drop.

Stage 3
Tweaks to generate more income - increased fees, hidden costs, stuff that used to be free are now charged. These build the balance sheet and stock value.

Stage 4
Decreasing interest from customers, start of dissatisfaction, accountants come in and demand payroll cuts in reaction to increasing costs and lessening business.

Stage 5
Active marketing of the company for sale. This is often accompanied by desperate measures to increase cash flow and bring back past customers. Lenders are looking over shoulders at this point and demanding changes in return for extensions of credit.

Stage 6
Sellout, rinse, lather, repeat OR company goes belly up and tries to re-organize.

The scenario doesn't HAVE to happen this way. If a block on the board of directors resist the quick buck and pumping of the stock price, the resources are there to continue a slower growth. However, this makes the company a target for hostile takeovers.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:40 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Pretty standard business model for a lot of businesses.
Stage 1
Initial flush of growth, highly leveraged, growing pains, decent relations with customers as the act gets together. High interest and energy.

Stage 2
Mature company, board gets really concerned over the stock price rather than the mission statement.
Things coast along until the stock begins to flatten or drop.

Stage 3
Tweaks to generate more income - increased fees, hidden costs, stuff that used to be free are now charged. These build the balance sheet and stock value.

Stage 4
Decreasing interest from customers, start of dissatisfaction, accountants come in and demand payroll cuts in reaction to increasing costs and lessening business.

Stage 5
Active marketing of the company for sale. This is often accompanied by desperate measures to increase cash flow and bring back past customers. Lenders are looking over shoulders at this point and demanding changes in return for extensions of credit.

Stage 6
Sellout, rinse, lather, repeat OR company goes belly up and tries to re-organize.

The scenario doesn't HAVE to happen this way. If a block on the board of directors resist the quick buck and pumping of the stock price, the resources are there to continue a slower growth. However, this makes the company a target for hostile takeovers.

You Got It.....

Just saw where Meg Whittman has spent 126 million on her campaign so far.

Also just spent 1 hr. on Hold to an Ebay phone number only to get cut off while still hanging on in hopes of talking to a real person. Yeah Right.

To me they are losing Control as we speak.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I know a few sellers who have made a very nice living from ebay for a long time, who now despair that their business is being ruined at every turn by ebay.
From the fees, to the fact that they can get ripped off by buyers with the help of ebay, to the fact that they can no longer leave feedback on buyers, to the elimanation of the tools to make their ads more prominent....I'm talking about dealers who paid thousands and thousands of dollars every month to ebay, and ebay does not seem to care if they lose these dealers. Makes no sense.

Ebay was good with Meg Whitman. She's the one who made it successful, but she is long gone from there.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
I spent a LOT of money on Ebay. There was a HORRIBLE seller who used to leave really nasty and negative feedback to anyone who would even leave her a neutral. Was a liar too. Am glad they did away with negative seller feedback. I have 100% rating but don't go there anymore, as I can't afford it.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM

73 posts, read 288,883 times
Ebay has been going downhill for a while. They got rid of listing fees which were miniscule and act like its a savings but they raised the final value fee by several percentage points which means your getting screwed but saving 0.15 cents on the listing.

Customer service has been horrible for several years, you contact them and they send you a form FAQ page about a totally unrelated subject with that little check yes or no button at the box about whether it was helpful or not.

Also, they started holding selleres money for like a month, they also always rule in favor of buyers even if you provide a tracking number. ALso in the case of buyer complaints they let the buyer keep your product and your money.

Ebay is a ripoff, so is paypal. If you wanna sell stuff go to Amazon or another auction site or open your own ecommerce website.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,478 times
E bay used to great for a buyer 3-4 years ago. Now it sucks with all the chinese made crap and scams. Ebay used to be great for a seller 3-4 years ago. Now it sucks with the feedback rules, crazy fee structure and all the chine mad crap flooding whatever niche or market you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business