Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So small businesses should be able to pollute your community? They should be able to employ children and illegal labor? etc.
Yes, thats exactly what i said . No, they need to reduce unneeded regulation and they need to simplify it. I have two examples that i have had to deal with personally. First, the health department. Each state has their own rules but every county with in that state has a health inspector who enforces them differently. When i bought food equipment that was used in one part of the state and brought it to a particular county it wasnt qualified. Taking me longer before i opened and costing me more money. Example two, i want to build a billboard on my property, which is adjacent to an interstate. I have to pay $300 bucks to a committee for them to decide if i am allowed to or not. The building and devolpement manager told me i shoudnt even bother because they arnt going to let me and it would be a waste of 300 bucks. I have only tried to start a business a few times in my life but everytime i do i have to hurdle the government. I guess it is so i dont employ children or illegal labor......retarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Yes, thats exactly what i said . No, they need to reduce unneeded regulation and they need to simplify it.
Yes, it is indeed what you said. Your revised claim is much different, determining exactly what is and is not needed is non-trivial.

In terms of your examples. Counties may have different needs hence differences in enforcement can be critical. But I'm not seeing why this is a big deal in the first place, you bought some equipment from another area without first doing your research. Whether one talks to your local county officials or state officials about health permits shouldn't make any difference to a single-operator. It would only be an issue for those that run multiple restaurants across multiple counties.

I also don't see your issue with the billboard example, large signs effect the aesthetic of a city and hence need to be controlled. Shouldn't city and/or county residents be able to restrict things like billboards in their community?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is indeed what you said. Your revised claim is much different, determining exactly what is and is not needed is non-trivial.

In terms of your examples. Counties may have different needs hence differences in enforcement can be critical. But I'm not seeing why this is a big deal in the first place, you bought some equipment from another area without first doing your research. Whether one talks to your local county officials or state officials about health permits shouldn't make any difference to a single-operator. It would only be an issue for those that run multiple restaurants across multiple counties.

I also don't see your issue with the billboard example, large signs effect the aesthetic of a city and hence need to be controlled. Shouldn't city and/or county residents be able to restrict things like billboards in their community?
I didnt revise anything, you made assumptions, which were wrong, and now you are making more assumptions, which are also wrong.

I did my research with the local health department and had my business plan approved, which included my equipment. Then during my final inspection he told me i needed to redo something (he didnt like the size of my hand washing sink, which was big enough to wash my hands in).

Communities should be allowed to have some control on billboards in their community for aesthetic purposes. But my location for a billboard was hidden by two different rows of trees and not visable anywhere except the interstate. My sign wasnt going to be very big, below the tree line. Also, billboards that are not in residential areas have to go through the same process. Why? If the land is argricultural then who gives a $hit.

The truth is that government uses EVERY oppurtunity to tax us. Businesses are no different, but they should be if we want to have a vibrant economy. Example: The average Sole Propriership breaks even. 70% go out of business, and the ones that dont only profit 10K on average. Only very few do well. So why charge $500 for a business licence? It really has no purpose, just a piece of paper saying your approved and giving you a number.

We all know you are a huge fan of government and wouldnt change a thing so i dont expect any other response then the usual twisting of words, assumptions, and relentless denial.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I didnt revise anything..
Of course you did, but we can pretend otherwise.

Quote:
I did my research with the local health department and had my business plan approved, which included my equipment. Then during my final inspection he told me i needed to redo something (he didnt like the size of my hand washing sink, which was big enough to wash my hands in).
Again, not getting the issue. They can only derive so much from plans so it shouldn't be surprising that they found something in a final inspection.

Anyhow you're complaining about replacing a sink? That isn't a big deal whatsoever.

Quote:
Communities should be allowed to have some control on billboards in their community for aesthetic purposes.
Some? Why shouldn't a community have total control? You won't find any billboards here and I'm rather happy about that as are the vast majority of residents. Now, you want to suggest that our views don't matter, we should be forced to accept billboards in our community.

Also your comment about billboards on farms is silly. If the billboard wasn't visible to people....it would be pointless. Billboards are highly visible, that is just the point!

Quote:
Example: The average Sole Propriership breaks even. 70% go out of business, and the ones that dont only profit 10K on average. Only very few do well. So why charge $500 for a business licence? It really has no purpose, just a piece of paper saying your approved and giving you a number.
Yes, many business go out of business and they'd still go out of business with less regulations. Having spoken with many small business owners its very apparent why they go out of business, they are simply bad at business.

I don't know of any city that charges $500 for a business license, here in "high tax California" cities/counties either have no fees, a small flat fee ($50 or so) or have a fee based on your gross annual revenue (a small business would only pay $50~$70).

Also, there are many things I'd change about this country, having "less regulation" isn't a serious goal though.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Of course you did, but we can pretend otherwise.

Again, not getting the issue. They can only derive so much from plans so it shouldn't be surprising that they found something in a final inspection.

Anyhow you're complaining about replacing a sink? That isn't a big deal whatsoever.

Some? Why shouldn't a community have total control? You won't find any billboards here and I'm rather happy about that as are the vast majority of residents. Now, you want to suggest that our views don't matter, we should be forced to accept billboards in our community.

Also your comment about billboards on farms is silly. If the billboard wasn't visible to people....it would be pointless. Billboards are highly visible, that is just the point!

Yes, many business go out of business and they'd still go out of business with less regulations. Having spoken with many small business owners its very apparent why they go out of business, they are simply bad at business.

I don't know of any city that charges $500 for a business license, here in "high tax California" cities/counties either have no fees, a small flat fee ($50 or so) or have a fee based on your gross annual revenue (a small business would only pay $50~$70).

Also, there are many things I'd change about this country, having "less regulation" isn't a serious goal though.
Pretend otherwise? Examples..........thought not.

The issue is that the sink served its purpose and was fine in another part of the state. And it was a big deal because it set me back on my schedule and hurt my budget. The point is i have only done business on small scales and if they are going to bust my balls over meaningless crap then im sure it goes on for larger businesses also. In fact, large fast food chains have also had problems with this particular health inspector. He made them change the setup of a kitchen that he didnt like, even though they use the same setup all over the state and the country.

You dont like billboards? Thats great i guess, my point was that you couldnt see it from my neighborhood and it is on my own damn property. So why the hell should any body else get to tell me what to do on my own property. My neighbor has a $hitty above ground pool next to his house. Looks like total crap and junks up the neighborhood. I guess we need the government to tell him he cant have it anymore.

How is my farm billboard comment silly? Its not a residential area, so who cares if you can see it. You just dont like billboards or you just have to dissaggree with everything i say......

I cant remember if it was the federal license or the state that cost $500, I think federal.

Yes, people are bad at business, no, that has nothing to do with what i said. I said they are over charged for a piece of paper.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The issue is that the sink served its purpose and was fine in another part of the state. And it was a big deal because it set me back on my schedule and hurt my budget. The point is i have only done business on small scales and if they are going to bust my balls over meaningless crap then im sure it goes on for larger businesses also. In fact, large fast food chains have also had problems with this particular health inspector. He made them change the setup of a kitchen that he didnt like, even though they use the same setup all over the state and the country.
Now it sounds like you are complaining about particular person, what does that have to do with regulations? Regulations are codified, if your sink didn't met that code than you can't use it. What were the regulations for sinks? Did yours violate the regulations? If it didn't, why would you accept the inspectors claim? He isn't the be all end all.

Quote:
So why the hell should any body else get to tell me what to do on my own property. My neighbor has a $hitty above ground pool next to his house. Looks like total crap and junks up the neighborhood. I guess we need the government to tell him he cant have it anymore.
Because what you do on your property can effect other people. Let's say I bought the property next to you, you'd have no problem with me building a highly polluting factory? What if I wanted to build a 10-story apartment complex? Its my property right...should be able to do whatever. Or ever better, I could build a strip club and create a gigantic neon sign that lights up the whole neighborhood! Sound good?

There are many communities that wouldn't allow a visible above ground pool.

Anyhow, a law against billboards is no different than a law against building a strip club in a residential community. In each case the community at large decides that they want to forbid something.

Quote:
I cant remember if it was the federal license or the state that cost $500, I think federal.
Of course.....

Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Now it sounds like you are complaining about particular person, what does that have to do with regulations? Regulations are codified, if your sink didn't met that code than you can't use it. What were the regulations for sinks? Did yours violate the regulations? If it didn't, why would you accept the inspectors claim? He isn't the be all end all.

Because what you do on your property can effect other people. Let's say I bought the property next to you, you'd have no problem with me building a highly polluting factory? What if I wanted to build a 10-story apartment complex? Its my property right...should be able to do whatever. Or ever better, I could build a strip club and create a gigantic neon sign that lights up the whole neighborhood! Sound good?

There are many communities that wouldn't allow a visible above ground pool.

Anyhow, a law against billboards is no different than a law against building a strip club in a residential community. In each case the community at large decides that they want to forbid something.

Of course.....
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

There isnt a specefic code for each and every possible situation in the health department. When he told me the sink wasnt exceptable, i asked if another particular sink was good enough. He said no, that wasnt good enough either. So i asked him for some specefic dimensions and he couldnt give me any! So, i calmly asked him what i was suppose to do and he told me to find one bigger and check it with him. So i had to find one and email him the picture and dimensions before i could have it installed. But your partially right, the guy was part of the problem. But thats how it works for the health department, the inspector has all the power and isnt accountable to anyone. If you get on their bad side they dont ever have to approve you, tough.

Just like all regulation there was a practical point behind instituting it, but after that all reason goes out the window. So, yeah, i aggree with all your points, even if they are extreme and unrelevant (factories/strip clubs are zoned as commercial) but just like a lot of government officials, especially any that have any authority, they dont give a crap about reason. Is it reasonable to let me leave a sink in that does what it is suppose to? Is it reasonable to let me build a small billboard that cant be seen from my front neighborhood? Yeah, i think so.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
But thats how it works for the health department, the inspector has all the power and isnt accountable to anyone. If you get on their bad side they dont ever have to approve you, tough.
Perhaps that is how it works in your neck of the woods but here in "business hassle" California inspectors are accountable for their actions and the regulations are codified.

Anyhow, I don't buy your story. I just checked the code for my area and it clearly states the minimum size for the sink among other things. Sounds like you didn't look things up. Otherwise you're a big push over, I mean, if you knew your sink met all the requirements why would you let a inspector tell you otherwise? The inspector does have a boss....

Quote:
So, yeah, i aggree with all your points, even if they are extreme and unrelevant (factories/strip clubs are zoned as commercial) but just like a lot of government officials.....
Zoning is government regulation and restricts what you can do with your property.

Regardless, your issue seems to be with the codification of requirements. In some cases the requirements may be over-kill or unnecessary, but what is the alternative?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Perhaps that is how it works in your neck of the woods but here in "business hassle" California inspectors are accountable for their actions and the regulations are codified.

Anyhow, I don't buy your story. I just checked the code for my area and it clearly states the minimum size for the sink among other things. Sounds like you didn't look things up. Otherwise you're a big push over, I mean, if you knew your sink met all the requirements why would you let a inspector tell you otherwise? The inspector does have a boss....

Zoning is government regulation and restricts what you can do with your property.

Regardless, your issue seems to be with the codification of requirements. In some cases the requirements may be over-kill or unnecessary, but what is the alternative?
How are inspectors accountable for their actions? Have you ever started a food service business and had to deal with them? Or are you just talking out of your a$$ as usual?

Your really good at looking things up arnt ya. Well smarty pants, why dont you look it up for me and then send me the link? You already took the time to look it up in your area so it shouldnt be to hard to look it up in mine. The business was in Coles county, Illinois. Lets see what you come up with, personally i think your full of $hit as usual.

I already stated that regulations have good intentions but are executed poorly. And that that is the real issue with anything government related. Some requirements that may be over-kill or unnecessary need to be altered, obviously.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,281 times
Quote:
...personally i think your full of $hit as usual.
Don't sugar coat things. Tell us how you really feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business