Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM

161 posts, read 387,610 times

Advertisements

I'm going to give a hypothetical using easy round numbers... and I have a question I hope some of you can answer.

Imagine somebody bought a business 10 years ago for $500,000.00
Time goes by, the business depreciates $250,000.00
The person decides to sell the business for $1,000,000.00
This is $750,000.00 more than the original purchase price plus depreciation.
If I understand it correctly, this person has to pay Capital Gains tax on $750,000.00 of 20% ... or $150,000.00

Now... Is that person done paying taxes on that money, or is Capital Gains IN ADDITION to the regular taxes that must be paid?

ALSO, If that same person had a mortgage on a house and the remaining principal due is $200,000.00 and decided to pay if off using the profits from the sale of the business... Would that person also have to pay tax on the principal paid? Would that tax have already been paid (as explained by the answer from the previous paragraph)?

How would the taxes break down in this scenario?

Anybody have any idea?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrwr View Post
Imagine somebody bought a business 10 years ago for $500,000.00
Time goes by, the business depreciates $250,000.00
Ten years implies this was a "going concern" but that overall it didn't do very well.
That what gross receipts it had were chewed up in operating costs resulting in little if any profit.

Quote:
The person decides to sell the business for $1,000,000.00
Neat trick!
Especially for a set of business assets that has depreciated by 50% over that term.
One might even call such a transaction a "windfall"

(for clarity: this $1M asset being sold...
is it the structure? or equipment? or the entirety of the "going concern"?)

Quote:
This is $750,000.00 more than the original purchase price plus depreciation.
Indeed it is.
Where is this loss/depreciation you started talking about?

Quote:
If I understand it correctly, this person has to pay Capital Gains tax on $750,000.00...
The broad Q gets the broad answer: Yes
See 1040 Schedule D.

Quote:
of 20% ... or $150,000.00
The specific Q gets you referred to the tax attorneys.

Quote:
Now... Is that person done paying taxes on that money,
or is Capital Gains IN ADDITION to the regular taxes that must be paid?
1040 Schedule C
Learn it well and deeply.

Quote:
ALSO, If that same person had a mortgage on a house and the remaining principal due is $200,000.00 and decided to pay if off using the profits from the sale of the business...
The plot thickens...

Quote:
-Would that person also have to pay tax on the principal paid?
-Would that tax have already been paid?
(as explained by the answer from the previous paragraph)?
-How would the taxes break down in this scenario?

The "business" will often file it's own set of returns.
The "person" pays or takes deductions based on what "the business" which they control reports.
(See Sch C and Sch D, 1099, K1, etc)

The value of the principle involved, a business asset, falls under the broad term of "cost basis" for the asset(s) tax value which in turn have almost always "depreciated" (for tax purposes) for many years which gave a very nice "paper loss" to offset the business income against...

(I bet you remember smiling when you got to do this.
You may have even bragged to your wife and golf buddies about how much you were able to 'write off".)

All of these shenanigans LOWERS that cost basis in the company records, the "book value",...
such that if sold later the "paper profit" starts from the lower number.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-07-2011 at 05:36 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 AM

161 posts, read 387,610 times
I did say these were hypothetical numbers....

The business is an LLC (Single Member). As such, it's profit "passes through" me and is reported on my personal tax return. I pay my taxes according to this "Income" at a rate of 33% (according to the 2010 Tax Brackets)

In the above example there would be $750,000.00 on which to pay capital gains... I'd be taxed in the 15% (correction) category... i.e. I'd be taxed on my profit.

That's it, right? I mean, I don't get taxed again at the end of the year at the 33% rate on the profit I made on the sale of the business... I just pay capital gains and that's it, right?

Last edited by Mbrwr; 05-07-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
My understanding is that if the person purchased the business for $500,000 and sold it for $1,000,000, then the person owes capital gains tax on $500,000. Even if the business value depreciated. The person only owes capital gains tax on realized gains. Since the depreciation was never a realized loss, it cannot be considered as part of the net capital gains realized.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
Default Capital Gains tax question

In 2009 I took out a loan for 55K and bought a business. I sold the business a year and a half later for 47K....8K less than I paid for it. I used the proceeds of the sale to pay back the loan I had taken out.

Do I need to pay capital gains on the 47K or am I able to claim a loss because I lost money on the deal??

Old 08-03-2011, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ten years implies.....

Neat trick!

Hope that helps some.
Always looking for tricks, aren't we? Some don't look at the intent of the tax code. They just look for tricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business