Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,909,388 times

Advertisements

I have come up with an idea for a business of which I will be the CEO. I need to find investors for my business. What I have in mind is a business that has a new product never before sold on store shelves. We will call our product the Mud Pie. I am going to hire about 500 employees at first who will work in my mud pie factory. They will mix the water and dirt and put it into pie pans which will then be sent to stores all over the USA and Canada to be sold for about $3 which is cheaper than other pies in store bakeries now. The only trouble I am having right now is attracting investors for my idea. They all tell me the same old song about "there will not be enough consumer demand for your business model to be successful". They seem to think that, even if I do get my idea off the ground, I will eventually have to close the factory and lay off all my employees because people just will not buy my products.
This whole thing has got me logically thinking about something the politicians (mostly GOP) keep saying about making the rich pay a decent amount of taxes. They say we cannot make the rich pay because they are "the job creators" and if we tax them, they won't create jobs for us. But then they say my job creation won't work because I won't have sufficient consumer demand for my Mud Pie. So which is it? Am I, the CEO, a job creator or are my millions of potential customers the job creators? So whom should pay higher tax rates? Who is more likely to spend the money they have creating jobs for others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,144,909 times
Should those earning over 250K get to keep their tax breaks if the jobs they are creating are only in foreign countries?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,909,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Should those earning over 250K get to keep their tax breaks if the jobs they are creating are only in foreign countries?
Honestly I think they can pay more. I am not for the "bleed the rich" crowd but really if you think about it they paid more during the 90s and the economy was much better and jobs more plentiful then. Jobs are created by middle and working class people demanding consumer products and services more than by the rich. The rich might create some jobs such as at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel but even if they had to pay more in taxes they would still stay at the Waldorf Astoria and not Motel 6. On the other hand, if you put more money into working Joe's hands, he will be more inclined to buy a new truck or car and take the family to Santa Monica for a weekend.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,574,352 times
You just are not seeing the big picture. Let me help.

Works like this. Rich Joe wants mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. Rich Joe does not want to work -- keep in mind, Rich Joe wants mo' money, Rich Joe does not want a job. So Rich Joe hires some lawyer/lobby folks to write a law regarding Mud Pies that specs only Joe's Mud Pies are the proper, safe, terror-free, Israel-friendly, and non-polluting Mud Pies to be made or sold in America, via Joe's Political PAC.

The Mud Pie PAC then wines, dines, and makes contributions to the correct Congressfolks, and Rich Joe's hooker/secretary gives gives the Mud Pie Commitment Chair Congressman a blow-job (the only real job created in all this), with some sneak photos. Those photos are for later.

Joe now applies and receives various Federal Funding, tax breaks, grants and guaranteed loans for the Rich Joe Mud Pie Company, and then ships the operation out of the US via Federal Funds and OPIC.

Rich Joe has the Mud Pies made in various third world countries.

Now Rich Joe brings those pies to the US without tariff, restrictions, or even inspections, as they are not really even food. Puts them on the market and we find out Rich Joe's Mud Pies are really just crap.

So Rich Joe goes back to Congressman Committee Chair and says, can you add mandates that the US Military, School Lunch programs, WIC, Food Stamps, and any Hospitals accepting Federal money all have to buy or accept my Mud Pies?

Congressman says that is pretty far out there, but Rich Joe reminds the Congressfolk that re-election is coming, and speaking of coming, here is that secretary and photos, and asks how campaign fund is going. Rich Joe writes a check, stuffs secretary/hooker under the desk, and everyone walks away with a smile.

Later that night, Rich Joe sits in his hot tub and ponders why poor dumb lazy whining welfare *******s cannot get off their butts and get a job and pay taxes, and buy more Mud Pies?

So Rich Joe calls his Congressfolks and says Now Gimme a Big Tax Break, and where is my secretary/hooker? I have a job for her to do -- again, the only real job created in the whole mess.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,474,587 times
Nicely said Phil as thats basically the way it is.seems illogical that righties who arent themselves "Rich Joes" would so willingly go with the concept of giving Rich Joe even more money in the form of massive tax breaks in the mistaken belief that Rich Joe gives a damn about the common middle class man and job creation..

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,722 times
The problem is that the, "rich" don't keep their money in the states. Its in the form of businesses that are located offshore in low tax countries. You can't tax these companies and you will never be able to. So when you say, "lets tax the rich" what you are actually saying is lets tax high income EARNERS (people who work for others but make lots of money).

The effective tax rate on my businesses is less than 1%. Also Americans don't own more than 10% of said companies so it bypasses CFC regulations. Its all in the business structures and accounting.

and that my friends is why you will never be able to tax the rich.

You liberals get dumber and dumber every year. I swear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoIX-TpXNfY

Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 AM

Just tax their products at the border.

Called a tariff.

Old as the Constitution.

Cutting out the tariffs -- under the 1000's of pages of NAFTA, WTO, etc., was one of the first things the "It's a Global Market, Now, Baby!" folks and the bankers went after.

Tariff returns = our real tax rates go down, local employment goes up, deficits disappear.

So we can't do that.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Just tax their products at the border.

Called a tariff.

Old as the Constitution.

Cutting out the tariffs -- under the 1000's of pages of NAFTA, WTO, etc., was one of the first things the "It's a Global Market, Now, Baby!" folks and the bankers went after.

Tariff returns = our real tax rates go down, local employment goes up, deficits disappear.

So we can't do that.
Yup, could work but might have some external problems. Mainly the fact that other countries could impose tariffs on american goods imported into their country. However, since the US imports more than exports this won't be much of a problem.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Yup, could work but might have some external problems. Mainly the fact that other countries could impose tariffs on american goods imported into their country. However, since the US imports more than exports this won't be much of a problem.
A+ You got it.

When a country is a net importer (and oh, baby, oh -- that is US), an Import Tariff is a good thing.

Not only would that help balance the Trade losses, the tax income would help balance the Federal .Gov Budget, and it would improve the jobs market, helping all the local economies. Not really rocket science.

So who would be harmed? Just Rich Joe.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
It would be a huge problem, not only would be trading low-skill jobs for high skilled jobs, but the US trade deficit is almost entirely due to China and oil and the US can't play games with either of these....

Significant tariffs on Chinese goods would cause such distort in China that you could be asking for WW III. The US won't win a war with the Chinese.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business