Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times

Advertisements

I thought this article might interest a few people as the subject is not UK specific.

BBC News - Infrastructure investment: Is the UK government doing enough?
Quote:
This week's announcement of UK government guarantees for up to £40bn of infrastructure projects was a bold move, designed to revive both the construction industry and the economy generally.
It marks a clear turning point where the government's positive rhetoric on infrastructure during the past few months has turned into action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I thought this article might interest a few people as the subject is not UK specific.

BBC News - Infrastructure investment: Is the UK government doing enough?
And then there is the school of thought that constructing ever more roads and water works...
and the homes, shopping, offices and so forth along them... has only encouraged an ever expanding
vacuous population to expand ever more to fill the space made available.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would wait and see as we had 700 billion in so called massive infrastructure spending that came to about 30 billion spent; much of it to support projects already budgeted by state governments and pay governamnt workers slaries already governamnt employees. Hope the UK does better .

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM

81 posts, read 94,854 times
Default It's a Crap Shoot!

Being in the UK, specially the Isle of Wight at the moment, we are surrounded by socio-economic regeneration programmes with little resources or proper financial investment. The apparent emphasis or drive is expected to come from voluntary organisations, amateur or professional, to sort out major problems that the UK Government or local councils have being trying to solve since the last war.

I seriously get the feeling that maybe the overall business models are wrong and that the top managerial strategies are flawed (even globally), which leaves us all in the horse manure at the coalface. This is my fourth recession and I am not happy, tired of repeated rhetoric and appalled at the level of incompetence and corruption in major business circles.

They can build the pyramids with motorways on as far as I am concerned but the level of consumerism has gone completely out of control, spurred on by non-accountability and irresponsible domestic accounting. The result being unparalleled family debt and virtually no disposable income. I really feel for the people but youngsters are not taught to harvest in Summer and store for Winter. And the elder statesmen seem to have forgotten that a thriving economy cannot live on air and water.

MBA (Portsmouth University Business School)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business