Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM

355 posts, read 913,384 times

Advertisements

We are in contract to purchase a business. We are taking the current owners out to dinner at a pricey restaurant. We did not choose the place, they did. I've discovered there is a pretty decent Groupon offer out there (so its not like we picked the place because we have the Groupon).

I've posted this in the business forum,because I already know what the frugal folks will say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Go for it!

a few thoughts:
1. Tells the seller you are watching every penny
2. Also tells them you are savvy
3. Honestly who cares since you probably won't have much interaction with them later

In another situation, like you were at a interview dinner or trying to close a deal then groupon ....no way

Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Hummmm.......usually I would not think this is cool. But, since you are the buyer and they selected the restaurant, I think its fine if you send a little note ahead saying "great choice on the restaurant! We actually have a groupon for that place and are eager to try the place."

That way if they have a reaction to your groupon, they can let you know in advance that they are happy to share the expense of the meal or have picked another venue.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Since it is a fancy place, your bill will most likely arrive in a folder. Have the coupon folded in your wallet with your credit card and discretely place both into the folder and move it to the edge of the table for the server to pick up.

I've got to say, I am not very impressed with anyone who chooses an expensive place after someone else offers to take them out to dinner. That's really beyond tacky bad manners and I suggest you stop worrying about impressing them. They are social thugs and not worth worrying about.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
It's about as tacky as picking an overpriced restaurant when someone offer to take you out to dinner. That being said I personally would probably avoid it. If you do want to use the groupon, I would arrive early and give the manager/waiter your credit card and the groupon. Explain the situation and mention that you intend to tip on the full amount. If it's a nice restaurant they should have no problem being discreet.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
We are in contract to purchase a business. We are taking the current owners out to dinner at a pricey restaurant. We did not choose the place, they did. I've discovered there is a pretty decent Groupon offer out there (so its not like we picked the place because we have the Groupon).

I've posted this in the business forum,because I already know what the frugal folks will say
Personally I would have declined the "dinner date". You are already "in contract" ( I assume that means a price has been agreed upon), why bother? Seems like a waste of capital to "wine and dine" someone that is not going to produce revenue for you.

If you have agreed to take them out to dinner and have a groupon at the place by all means use it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post

My advice. Avoid it unless the business deal is done and the ink has dried!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since it is a fancy place, your bill will most likely arrive in a folder. Have the coupon folded in your wallet with your credit card and discretely place both into the folder and move it to the edge of the table for the server to pick up.
This seems like the best route to take IMO.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Personally I would have declined the "dinner date". You are already "in contract" ( I assume that means a price has been agreed upon), why bother? Seems like a waste of capital to "wine and dine" someone that is not going to produce revenue for you.

Because very often when buying a business the seller has to stay and train the buyer for a stated period of time. Perhaps as long as 2 months. It pays to stay on their good side.

With the type who takes advantage and requests an expensive place when someone else is buying, make your offer very specific. Hey, let me take you for a pizza, or take you to Home Fries Restaurant, or my wife wants to try The Orleans, want to come?

OP did not say. Maybe the 2 parties are taking turns paying for going out. Maybe the seller has already paid for expensive dinners.

Still, my mama would slap me upside the head if I chose an expensive place when someone else offered to take me out. I would not order the most expensive thing on the menu, either. That is just bad manners.

Yes, I would use the coupon, just be discrete about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business