Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,288 times

Advertisements

I'm always brainstorming ideas for my first small business startup and this one popped in my head. I was thinking about possibly starting a foreclosed home and vacant apartment cleaning/general maintenance business. When I say general maintenance I mean real basic stuff like lawn care, painting, etc.

Now I don't know too much about this kind of business and I don't want to put too much effort/research into it yet because I don't know what the market is like for this kind of service. Does anyone here know anything about this or is it a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Every maintenance man, hotel maid, facility management staffer, janitor, or similar trade that has been laid off or tired of working for someone else, comes up with this idea. A large part is because it's a trade/business that seldom requires any 'contractor' type license (usually just the plain generic business license) and is easy to start. If you know anyone who’s in property management, ask them how saturated the industry is. They will know if they have to wait in line for the service or if they get dozens of flyers, ads and sales pitches from dozens of companies on a weekly basis.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
There are successful businesses in nearly every single field you can name.

People sometimes struggle with making the right decision. I think it is more important to make the decision right. Decide what you are going to do, then make it work.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
I

Now I don't know too much about this kind of business and I don't want to put too much effort/research into it yet because........
People who can't be bothered to put a ton of effort and research into their business ideas and plans are not very likely to be a great success in life.

People who let strangers on the internet tell them whether or not to start a business are not putting the effort in. Starting a business is an enormous amount of work and nobody can tell you whether or not a business in any given area will work or not without doing all that research. Then on top of the research, how would any of us know how hard you work, how clever you are, or how personable you are?

We can not tell you whether or not that business would work for you in your location. I suggest that you do not base your decision upon the opinions given on this forum.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
People who can't be bothered to put a ton of effort and research into their business ideas and plans are not very likely to be a great success in life.

People who let strangers on the internet tell them whether or not to start a business are not putting the effort in. Starting a business is an enormous amount of work and nobody can tell you whether or not a business in any given area will work or not without doing all that research. Then on top of the research, how would any of us know how hard you work, how clever you are, or how personable you are?

We can not tell you whether or not that business would work for you in your location. I suggest that you do not base your decision upon the opinions given on this forum.
Well I guess I shouldn't have said that... I guess I was just asking you guys if that type of business could be worth it or if it is a waste of time in general before I go ahead and put effort and research into it.

Pretty much just wanted your guys' opinion on the type of business.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM

295 posts, read 338,068 times
I think if you are thinking of doing some sort of business you have to get out of the thinking stage and start the starting stage and I know that sounds weird. But it's true. Call some of your friends who are realtors or who work for the banks and see if they are looking to hire a business to do this type of work. If they are let them know you are available. There is not much to research to do this type of business. Just get your contacts and do the first job and do the best job possible and you will get more work. In this type of business doing a good job within a good price on time will get you more business over and over again.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
I'm ...

Now I don't know too much about this kind of business and I don't want to put too much effort/research into it yet because I don't know what the market is like for this kind of service. Does anyone here know anything about this or is it a good idea?
In all fairness, the only way to find out what the market is, is to do research. It sounds like you're defeating yourself before you even get started. Business won't just fall on your doorstep.

First, of course it's a good idea. Much time and learning should go into your plan. Compared to many new start-ups, your initial investment should be minimal as far as supplies, equipment, etc. Plus, and this is what takes the time, you should read everything you can about what to expect, do, and not do when starting a business. Learn from others mistakes! There is a wealth of information and advice online from sites like Entrepreneur.com, WSJ.com, startupnation.com, and so forth. This won't supress every mistake, but will help you plan for when things don't go smoothly.

Don't forget at least a basic business plan, setting aside money for taxes up front, which will have to be paid quarterly to the IRS, and designing a great name and logo. You won't need top notch office space and supplies, but do go all out for things every customer will see such as your business cards, flyers, etc.

Finally, best of luck to you.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 AM

Hey thank you very much sirron! Definitely some great advice.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM

34 posts, read 67,203 times
there are few sunk costs and you can pay by the hour.... minimium wage to high school kids even. only cost is advertising. people might even hire you to clean their homes as well. but to make any sort of profit(even hiring at minimium wage and charging 30 dollars an hour) it needs to be high volume. contact realtors and landlords to get the volume you need. do not leave yourself open for a lawsuit in case someone steals - get an ironclad contract from both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business