Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Coffee shops look to oust 'laptop hobos'- MSN Money

This is a good thing. Too many of these losers just take up space watching Youtube or playing on Facebook. I'm thankful that coffee shops often have net access when I travel for business as it allows me to download/send some emails. I only use it for 30-40 minutes max, and rarely at lunch hours.

Last edited by Oildog; 07-14-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
Coffee shops and restaurants need to turn their tables. They don't make money when people remain seated at their tables for hours and hours on free wi-fi and power usage playing around with their lap top or tablet taking up valuable space especially during busy hours. I also get the idea that these businesses can meet in the middle with the lap top/tablet users by limiting wi-fi time and/or charging them for using it.

-Cheers!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I probably wouldn't be too thrilled if I owned a place and people were just there all day with not buying anything...but on the other hand you gotta wonder if these places would be full anyways.

also there are some people that think places that have people in them are better places to go than empty ones. So one might see a coffeeshop with people in it and think , "maybe i'll check this place out..the there place is empty"..

It's kind of a tricky situation I guess. A coffeeshop is not an office, so it's not really fair for it to be used that way.
They are also private businesses so the laptop hogs don't have any rights and the coffeshop owners can make any rules they want.

Perhaps offering some kind of 'membership' club type of deal might work? Like $X amount per month and unlimited internet use and X many coffees per month or week.

The advantage to this might be more loyalty and then the coffeeshop has a set amount of money coming in.

I could see it being a tricky situation though asking people to leave. Or putting up signs saying "NO Wifi/laptop use for more than 1 Hour" or something..

Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Ever notice people sitting in their cars parked outside coffee shops? They are sitting in their cars close to the store so they can mooch off the store's WIFI, sometimes for really extended times. How cheap can one get?

Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ever notice people sitting in their cars parked outside coffee shops? They are sitting in their cars close to the store so they can mooch off the store's WIFI, sometimes for really extended times. How cheap can one get?
I have never noticed this but I think it's the height or arrogance and self entitlement that people think they can spend say $5 00 on a latte and then use the place as their office.
I don't know why there even should be a question. 30 minutes max with a distinct code that prints on the bottom of the receipt.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I only use it for 340 minutes max, and rarely at lunch hours.
Seems excessive to me!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Eh... unless you are also there for an extended time watching them, how do you really know? I mean, what's the difference between someone who buys a latte and takes it to a table, pulls out the laptop and sits there for half an hour and someone who buys a latte, takes it to their CAR and then does the same?

I'm just commenting on this because I would be someone you might see sitting in my car, using my laptop while I drink my coffee. Why? Because the inside was too crowded, and the outside was too noisy or too cold or too hot, too windy, whatever.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Coffee shops look to oust 'laptop hobos'- MSN Money

This is a good thing. Too many of these losers just take up space watching Youtube or playing on Facebook. I'm thankful that coffee shops often have net access when I travel for business as it allows me to download/send some emails. I only use it for 340 minutes max, and rarely at lunch hours.
Damn.

I'm kind of guilty of being a hog, but I've never sat at a coffee shop for seven hours like you have. Never had a problem spending two hours or so. I do that pretty frequently using Starbucks as an office away from office. I take my phone calls outside and tip.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Sorry. I meant 30-40 minutes.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I think this is pretty reasonable myself. Buying a $4 cup of joe doesn't give you license to camp out for the next eight hours taking up sofa space and bandwidth.

If someone could figure out a timed WiFi login for those kinds of places, they'd make a fortune. Two hours should do it. And if you need more time, then buy more coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business