Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

If you have been in business at all, you know that there are good customers, great customers, and those few that are bad customers. I've had to fire customers in the past and am at the point of doing so with one now. Typically, my reasons for firing are the refusal to follow tech support instructions, continued slow pay or whinging about invoices, and support needs that border on passive-aggressive. Example - one customer who has non-critical problems regularly uses a repeat dial on the phone to get immediate attention. Annoying at best, but when I was out for doctor appointments yesterday I came back to 23 missed calls and a ringing phone related to an issue that would have been resolved on their own in five minutes had support instructions been followed.

Where do you draw the line? When do you cut off a customer who is a liability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
DH and I have fired customers for reasons similar to yours. Another problem is those who get abusive or threatening to staff. We do not put up with that.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i am always firing customers.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Yes. Ultimately, the only thing you have to sell in a service business is your time. Someone who sucks up a disproportionate share for the money you charge needs to move on elsewhere.

Mind you, you want to let them down gently. As in saying, "You know, I've gotten really busy on this project and may not be able to give you the attention you need. So why don't I recommend Al Smith to handle this for you. Great guy. I'll call him up and tee things up for you. You'll like him a lot."

Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Mind you, you want to let them down gently. As in saying, "You know, I've gotten really busy on this project and may not be able to give you the attention you need. So why don't I recommend Al Smith to handle this for you. Great guy. I'll call him up and tee things up for you. You'll like him a lot."
Hehe... I bet " Al Smith" isn't your favorite guy.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 PM

589 posts, read 7,647,127 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
...Mind you, you want to let them down gently. As in saying, "You know, I've gotten really busy on this project and may not be able to give you the attention you need. So why don't I recommend Al Smith to handle this for you. Great guy. I'll call him up and tee things up for you. You'll like him a lot."
Nope, I've had customers in the past that I've had to ditch into the round file and I always tell them right up front why.

I fired a (for lack of a better description) tire-kicker just today who has been wanting us work on his project since early April. Every couple of days he has something different he wants us to design in hopes that his dearly beloved designer wife will finally approve of it and it won't cost any more than an off the shelf item. Then he goes away for a month or so before he comes back with yet another grandiose scheme/plan she will hopefuly approve of. Oh, and don't you dare expect him to pay for all this designing and re-designing...hell no, not him.

Told him right up front why he needed to get someone else to build his (her) dream. Nor would I refer our intrepid hero to anyone...not even someone I don't like.

Ron

Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Harry,
I "fired" customers who COST ME MONEY.
If I wasn't loosing money, and the level of nonsense was brief, even if
they were repeat customers, I tolerated them.
As soon as they COST me money, I fired them.
I worked too hard to loose money, so technically, they weren't customers
at all if they cost me money, right?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Recently fired a client that took so much more of my time than my other clients, yet were paying the same. I had been thinking for a long time what a pain in the butt they were, but then they started to mention extra services they would like in addition and at the same time hinted that they thought they were paying too much. OH NO YOU DIDN'T! I told them that I thought they should find a company that could better meet their needs. They asked me to help them "transition" to a new company over the next couple of months. I gave them 30 days. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Butterfly, the problem comes back to valuing time. I've held to a yearly fee covering specific issues, but I may have to limit the time and go to an hourly rate for support beyond a set amount. It may be time for me to set up a new income stream anyway. Technology keeps catching up with me.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
Have I fired customers? Absolutely. Some set up such ridiculous demands that it was better for me to not bid on future work than deal with them again. Their "requirements" in terms of scheduling and materials suck all the profit out of a job. They seem to think they can change the specifications outlined in the bid at their whim. Actually, the strategy of firing them sent them to my competitors who now had the headaches. Win Win for me. I just had one today who would "favor" me with business if I would cancel previously scheduled work to do theirs first. I declined. The husband has a history of making threats when his c*** wife doesn't get her way. I hope he does. I'd enjoy getting him arrested or shooting him in the face if it came to that.

Last edited by DFBonnett; 08-23-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business