Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
except for medicare....
No. Without exception.

You are not taking into account the costs of administration, etc.

Just because it (may or may not) be lower for one individual.... Doesn't take away from the fact that it is costing SOMEONE (taxpayers) more elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
A lot of low wage workers are eligible for subsidies. Many will pay less than they could get it for through an employer.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
make things cheaper? Nonsense. My employer (2,000 people) has already deleted the best plans available, and is now offering only plans that cost us more out of our checks but with less benefits, with a lot more out-of-pocket, and their cost is higher. Part of it is the costs rising and part is to avoid having to pay the tax on "cadillac" plans. The real goal of Obamacare is to get people making good salary and benefits to pay for those that don't currently have healthcare. The real result is making more money for the providers, as they continue to raise premiums at will while adding many more people to their customer base.
Actually, there's it will for low-skilled workers. Let's say you're Starbucks. You provide benefits to your retail workforce who makes about $10/hour. Well, for an individual, it costs $1/month to get healthcare from the exchange. Hard to beat $1/month. So why is Starbucks offering benefits? The work can get health insurance for $12 a year. The subsidy for the exchange plans is $190/month or $2,300 per year for me (in my 20s) and $4,400/year for someone in their 50s. The fine for not offering insurance is $2,000 per employee.

Cheaper for Starbucks to just pay the fine, especially for older workers. It's not going to hurt the employee much since the government subsidizes 99.95% of the cost for someone making $10/hour anyway. Given, it's a fairly low window. But yeah, for retailers especially I can see them dropping insurance. Others like UPS are dropping it on spouses who qualify for insurance at their own job since you can do that without being under the penalty.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 PM

19 posts, read 34,925 times
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. But, I checked the ny health care website ... seems like lowest premium I can find is about $300/month. Has anyone found something elsewhere to get even lower premiums? This mandatory health care is BS. The last 8 years that I've had health care coverage, I've went to the doctor for nothing more than my annual physicals and probably 3 visits for a cold.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:17 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
ds590,
You need to inquire through the Affordable care act.
Look up the phone number for the ACA in your area.
CALL the phone number.
Actually talk to a person, tell them you want an amount for insurance,
you can't sign up yet, its NOT open enrollment.
I think you can sign up in Novemebr, not sure.
Please speak with a person, just don't look it up online and get frustrated
by what you see.
It's to your benefit to get health insurance, so check it out.
You never know what will happen, but then again there's always
bankruptcy right?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds590 View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. But, I checked the ny health care website ... seems like lowest premium I can find is about $300/month. Has anyone found something elsewhere to get even lower premiums? This mandatory health care is BS. The last 8 years that I've had health care coverage, I've went to the doctor for nothing more than my annual physicals and probably 3 visits for a cold.

Well, be glad that you're in good health

The last 8 years of health care coverage you paid for was NOT a waste!

You had protection against health problems ruining you financially, and the opportunity to seek health care if needed.

That's a rather difficult concept for many to grasp, its like saying you wasted money on a life insurance policy because you didn't die yet

Be grateful you're in good health, and $300/month is cheap compared to many policies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business