Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM

304 posts, read 472,340 times

Advertisements

Parker believes higher wages lead to better results. "We've had very low turnover," said Parker. "Of the people that are working for us, we don’t have anybody disgruntled." Over the weekend, three customers came up to Parker, without prompting, and thanked him for the quality of the customer service. Paying people more means you spend less time firing, hiring, and training...

They just might pull it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
My dad took a job at a gas station when he retired cause he got bored.

The turnover was quite high, the pay was quite poor. Go figure.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
"Of the people that are working for us, we don’t have anybody disgruntled."
Paying people more means you spend less time firing, hiring, and training...
Check back and see if this scheme is meant to apply to new hires as well.
Assuming not... how long the employee needs to be there to warrant the higher wage rates.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
I think you forgot to put in a link, OP.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:21 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
How high are their prices? Is it like the $1 menu?

Old 09-14-2013, 12:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Article:
Radical Fast Food Joint Doubles Down on High Wages - The Daily Beast

Not surprising. When people are paid a livable wage, they're happier, do a better job, and stick around longer. Customers are happier, the food is better, and money isn't being wasted on employee churn.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Article:
Radical Fast Food Joint Doubles Down on High Wages - The Daily Beast

Not surprising. When people are paid a livable wage, they're happier, do a better job, and stick around longer. Customers are happier, the food is better, and money isn't being wasted on employee churn.
I seem to recall that the wages paid to UAW workers that were making crap cars in AMC, Oldsmobile, Plymouth and such dead brands were pretty much the same as the other US carmakers and probably higher than the wages going to non-union workers in US plants building VWs, Hondas, Toyotas and other vehicles that have been a lot more successful...

Got any other hare brained ideas for me to shoot down?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
Parker believes higher wages lead to better results. "We've had very low turnover," said Parker. "Of the people that are working for us, we don’t have anybody disgruntled." Over the weekend, three customers came up to Parker, without prompting, and thanked him for the quality of the customer service. Paying people more means you spend less time firing, hiring, and training...

After a long career in construction, I took a job in a different field. The pay did not match the work. I left and found something much better. See how that works, its really not that hard folks. If you feel you are under paid, ask for more. It that doesn't happen then time to move on. Life is short don't act like a child and pout, move on to the next, that's what adults do. In capitalism, if the company cant find workers or they have a high turnover, the pay will reflex it. Or they will go out of business.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I seem to recall that the wages paid to UAW workers that were making crap cars in AMC, Oldsmobile, Plymouth and such dead brands were pretty much the same as the other US carmakers and probably higher than the wages going to non-union workers in US plants building VWs, Hondas, Toyotas and other vehicles that have been a lot more successful...

Got any other hare brained ideas for me to shoot down?
You didn't shoot down anything. Wages for factory workers are obviously not the sole determinant of the success of a company.

But go ahead, live in your delusional fantasy world in which treating workers like readily replaceable garbage and paying them crap doesn't cause them to quit or do a crummier job.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If workers do a crummy job they should be fired. Sadly in too many workplaces where the forces of organized labor prevent this the value delivered to customers becomes so poor as to cause the business to fail.

Many successful firms have found that a quality workforce can be motivated by a variety of factors of which compensation is only one dimension. If the proprietors of any business find it to their advantage to pay high wages to their employees I have no reason to feel any animosity toward the business owner or workers, however if a business owner can find a way to run a business with more modestly paid workers I would not assume that they are automatically treating their employees "like readily replaceable garbage". Some folks are happy to work for any wage at all, many of them are people that enter this country from places in the world where living conditions are much harsher and their future is much bleaker. It occurs to me that many of the adleminded fools that demand higher wages also seem to want no restrictions placed upon such immigrants. It is hard to imagine wages doing other decline if the supply of low skill labor increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business