Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,171,306 times

Advertisements

Days ago, a service provider I used during the summer charged me 2750 without my authorization. I am going through dispute now.

My question is, is there any legal consequences for them doing this beside the getting a charge back?

I assume there is, otherwise all merchants would be doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 09:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
You can dispute and sue since its a service you contract thru. Sounds like you had it charged to credit card etc which comes under that contract you authorized to charge it thru.If you did not then its a police matter of unarthroized use.Sounds like there was a service estsblished and method of payment otherwise it would be just simple call to credit card company or getting a bill you refuse to pay and wait for them to take civil action.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:06 PM

There were services performed over the summer but all bill have been taken care off. I was not satisfied with the service but I paid anyway.

The credit card is on file just in case I can't pay it in person. I paid in advance for every services.

I really don't like they just charged me without my authorization.

Are they breaking a law? The state is NJ

Old 11-28-2013, 01:39 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I don't think so because you had an agreement with them to charge to your card. At most, you have a civil dispute.

What happens, though, is if they have too many disputed charges or it looks like they are unethical, the credit card company will drop them and they won't be able to accept that card any more.

Since that would destroy their business to not accept credit cards, the businesses tend to be careful to follow the rules.

If someone (business of individual) steals your card or your account and charges without your knowledge, then that is theft and against the law. As far as I can tell, it appears to be difficult to prosecute. Or maybe it is difficult to catch the perpetrators.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think so because you had an agreement with them to charge to your card. At most, you have a civil dispute.

What happens, though, is if they have too many disputed charges or it looks like they are unethical, the credit card company will drop them and they won't be able to accept that card any more.

Since that would destroy their business to not accept credit cards, the businesses tend to be careful to follow the rules.

If someone (business of individual) steals your card or your account and charges without your knowledge, then that is theft and against the law. As far as I can tell, it appears to be difficult to prosecute. Or maybe it is difficult to catch the perpetrators.
they will ot be banned from taking visa, their merchant provider may drop them and they just go find a new one.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 AM

166 posts, read 321,731 times
Stop contact and dispute the charges with your cc company.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM

My cc company just got back to me now saying the charge was a swipe. Now is getting interesting. If they forged my signature, this is just pure criminal action.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 AM

After a lengthy details discussion with with Jennifer, the dispute specialize from my cc. What she was telling me was what the vendor is doing is not fraud. If an authorize user provides the vendor the credit card information, like you provide to your phone company, the vendor can charges whatever they want and it is still legal. Their reason is an authorize user provided them the credit card and thus give them unlimited withdrawal.

No, I didn't heard her wrong. I rephrased twice with her and that is what she said. She said, what I should be doing is dispute it as a duplicate charge, not an unauthorized charge. Are they brain dead? That's what I was telling them in my email and over the phone. This is the second time they charged this amount.

I am guessing, what the cc is doing is will side with the vendor.

So what is my option if the cc company side with the vendor?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
You should have all your statements and you should be able to prove that this is a duplicate charge.

The credit card company will back you if you can show it was a duplicate charge.

So get your paperwork together, make copies and get back with your CC company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business