Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You still didn't really detail anything about "ownership" attitude or change.
Forgive me... I assumed everyone inclined to read this thread would know the difference between
what was (Sears Roebuck & Co) and what the stock manipulators have reduced it to (Sears Holding Corp).
As well as the reference to prior local store management latitude.

Quote:
Clearly if the state attorney couldn't get it done for you maybe you were just looking for an unreasonable solution
Nope.

Unusable at 3 months due to manufacturing defect = replace or refund.
(or do you feel differently?). The file is still active.

A 25 cent bolt and an $800 mower have cost them a lifelong customer.
No one in Chicago seems to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Forgive me... I assumed everyone inclined to read this thread would know the difference between
what was (Sears Roebuck & Co) and what the stock manipulators have reduced it to (Sears Holding Corp).
As well as the reference to prior local store management latitude.

Nope.

Unusable at 3 months due to manufacturing defect = replace or refund.
(or do you feel differently?). The file is still active.

A 25 cent bolt and an $800 mower have cost them a lifelong customer.
No one in Chicago seems to care.

You still really haven't demonstrated what the management change or ownership change actually did. Maybe it's the circular illogical pattern that ended up doing you in on your attempt to return a 3 month old mower.

That mower was something that they were willing to give you 800.00 credit to offset the purchase of another mower right? But you didn't like any of the models and wanted your money back ?

Old 10-13-2014, 12:44 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
There were so many contributing factors to the failing of one of America's largest retail icons.

From the late 70's to today we can buy appliances, at Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot and many other chains that were not around back in the day.

Times have changed.....I do not build relationships with salesmen as my father did. My father visited the same salesman at the Dodge Dealership......old paneled office with the tire ashtray.....same was said for Sears.

Now I purchase a vehicle over the internet as I cannot stand to deal with the sales teams of today.

I am part of the problem as once I find the quality of an item I want, I shop the internet for the cheapest price and who will deliver for free.

Sears is blowing through cash and it's days are numbered......I might not live to see it but Walmart will suffer the same fate.

Who would have thought there would be a furniture store bigger than ever imagined where you load your own put together furniture.....IKEA.

It starts at the top.....the very top. Like I mentioned with Blockbuster, someone at that company should have circled the wagons when Netflix came around. How hard is it to realize that we consumers are lazy. DVD's come in the mail and you send them back on the mail.......no late fee's. A degree from Harvard means nothing today.....it is innovation and technology that makes or breaks business's.

Smart phones are killing digital cameras and stand alone GPS units. Sony and Garmin are already feeling the pain!

Sears has become insignificant and brand loyalty has come and gone with all of us boomers.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 10-13-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
The store that fulfilled all of my families needs from the sixties on to providing tough skin jeans, weather beater paint, tools, appliances and a lot more looks like it will slowly fade away into irrelevance.

Once a giant itself that swallowed business from mom and pop stores has become a victim of the internet and the likes of Walmart and Target to name a few.

It was not a bad economy......just lacking a game plan for the future.......like the board members at Blockbuster who could not see the locomotive engine of Netflix charging at them Sears failed to adjust.

Sears a former American retail store icon appears to be ready to fade away without much fanfare.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12909...customers.html

Every second, minute, hour and day that a business does not plan for the future is a nail in the coffin........just ask Circut City, Polaroid, Kodak and Block Buster if they had a second chance what they would have done differently!

Be fair, technology killed all three......Polaroid/Kodak (digital cameras) and Blockbuster lost out to streaming video/Netflix models.

Sears/Kmart are in trouble due to lack of identity. Sears was once known for tools/home goods but Home Depot/Lowes destroyed that. Sears sells clothes but so do countless others. Kmart was once cheap but Walmart buried them in that game. So what is S/K known for today? Why shop there?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Be fair, technology killed all three......Polaroid/Kodak (digital cameras) and Blockbuster lost out to streaming video/Netflix models.

Sears/Kmart are in trouble due to lack of identity. Sears was once known for tools/home goods but Home Depot/Lowes destroyed that. Sears sells clothes but so do countless others. Kmart was once cheap but Walmart buried them in that game. So what is S/K known for today? Why shop there?
Actually, my wife likes the Land's End clothing, so she goes there but is always frustrated by the poor service. I went with her last weekend and can verify that being busy is not the reason, it was like a ghost town.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM

528 posts, read 823,829 times
I wonder how much K-Mart is dragging them down. There used to be probably ten or more K-Marts in the Cincinnati area, now maybe two or three. It seems that they close one a year around here which seems like a very slow weird death spiral. I see no reason to keep the K-Mart brand, they seem to be a poor comparison to Wal-Mart, a battle they can not win at this point. Sears on the other hand still has some strong brands, Craftsman, Die Hard and Kenmore for instance. K-Mart should be killed and the Sears model should consist of Automotive, tools, appliances and lawn mowers and garden. Smaller stores that concentrate on their core brands and they could actually carve out a decent nitch. If they continue to think they can continue as they did in their heyday they are doomed.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Sears is also stuck in the trap of being the anchor of malls that nobody goes to anymore. Would rather drive into a Lowes or Home Depot, park and walk right into the store. If I wanted to get to a Sears I need to deal with driving into a huge mall parking lot, circling the mall until I can find the store, walk into to Sears and figure out where the escalator is to get to their hardware & appliance section. It shouldn't be that tough to make we want to open my wallet. Plus the cashier at Lowes & Home Depot is not going to pester me for my address or try to hustle me into a warranty or credit card.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 AM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
We just tried to buy a wall oven from Sears (soonest delivery time). The day they were supposed to deliver it they called to tell us it had been damaged in transit and they were ordering another one. Scheduled delivery for a week later. The day before the next delivery, they called to reschedule delivery for another week out. We cancelled the order... I won't attempt to purchase anything from Sears again.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
There were so many contributing factors to the failing of one of America's largest retail icons.

From the late 70's to today we can buy appliances, at Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot and many other chains that were not around back in the day.

Times have changed.....I do not build relationships with salesmen as my father did. My father visited the same salesman at the Dodge Dealership......old paneled office with the tire ashtray.....same was said for Sears.

Now I purchase a vehicle over the internet as I cannot stand to deal with the sales teams of today.

I am part of the problem as once I find the quality of an item I want, I shop the internet for the cheapest price and who will deliver for free.

Sears is blowing through cash and it's days are numbered......I might not live to see it but Walmart will suffer the same fate.

Who would have thought there would be a furniture store bigger than ever imagined where you load your own put together furniture.....IKEA.

It starts at the top.....the very top. Like I mentioned with Blockbuster, someone at that company should have circled the wagons when Netflix came around. How hard is it to realize that we consumers are lazy. DVD's come in the mail and you send them back on the mail.......no late fee's. A degree from Harvard means nothing today.....it is innovation and technology that makes or breaks business's.

Smart phones are killing digital cameras and stand alone GPS units. Sony and Garmin are already feeling the pain!

Sears has become insignificant and brand loyalty has come and gone with all of us boomers.
I have steadfastly refused to upgrade the maps on my Garmin due to the $79 cost (only cost $100 when new) and have used the Android phone for navigation for several years now. With a trip to Hawaii coming and realizing that many areas we will be in have no cellular service, I looked again and it's dropped to $49 so I went ahead and updated just for this trip. The cost of a rental car with GPS would be more than that over the week. After we return it will go back in a drawer.

While I agree with most of your post, I think there will always be a place for Walmart, if only because there are those who depend on the low priced junk they sell that do not have a credit or debit card to shop online. Perhaps there will be fewer of them limited to lower income areas, but they will be there.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Honestly, Sears has been going downhill for more than 20 years now...I'm surprised it's not out of business already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business