Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 5,677 times

Advertisements

I am an old (senior) software developer. I don't understand the businessman and I wan to take a look in they head to understand it, that's why I need your help.

Usually somebody has a brilliant idea how could make his website / mobile app make money.
Some of they get founding, from friends, banks, whatever. There are startups with 50k and with 500k and even more. At the West Coast it is the cost of the living the most expensive ad the salaries are even higher. Ex a Senior Mobile developer wage is 80-130k while at East coast is 55-90k, as I saw the job listings.

I don't know why but they prefer to have it at West coast, even with 50% more expense of workforce. But the office and everything is more expensive. At this point I don't understand already, but the explanation for this can be explanation for the next issue.

Some bigger companies it will open offices in India or other places, where the workforce is lower. This would be almost understandable since it can have a Senior developer with 10k or 20k, depending of outsourcing company or not and other factors. Some are satisfied with the lower price and the different culture gaps and issues from that, others don't want to hear about that again. This depends on case to case. Some of US companies are creating offices in Romania too. Here are the dev costs at least double then in India and I would say we have the culture closer to US people, but this isn't the cheapest outsourcing destination.
However, at any of the country outsources as his own girl company or contracted company they have to deal with remote team. People will be in different location.

Now the question why aren't jobs which allows to do your work whatever you like? - home.

In my case: I have broadband internet - just like many office. I have backup ISP, and if my first ISP doesn't provide Internet in 1 minute I have activated the second one and I am online. This doesn't have many-many offices. I have 2 big monitors, some company offers this, others not. I have silence in my home at working time: some companies has large rooms where 2-5 team members are in conference calls always and speaking, other colleges are listening the music in the headphones by far to loud. When I want to listen a youtube tutorial / music I can do it without headphones at home. My chair at home perfectly suits me, while at company I see different cheap office chairs.
So while from my hope I could work with maximum comfort and 100% productivity I need to move to office
to work is looser conditions, to get out with colleges to coffe breaks, to like they shares on Facebook to watch they youtube's and work from 8 hours max 4 efficiently, usually 1 or 2 is coding!

The leak of trust can be one of the reason. If they don't know maybe I am half drunk at home, maybe they think I start programming and I go to do else household things, idk. I am wondering why isn't payed for performance / task done?!

Why aren't allowed at all to start working from remote?
- I could work with the same timezone.
- with VPN it can't be said it is a security risk to heart your IT infrastructure.
- with Skype can't say I am not available anytime and you can't see me.
- I can't believe the reason it is: one of the manager want to see my Facebooks connections on work time! -beside I don't have a FB account and I hate those web pages, which are considered "social network", since they are just a webpages.

So what are in the business mans head? Why no remote team, why no remote workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business