Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:32 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times

Advertisements

Yes but it would probably be smarter to figure out what you want to do and start a business tailered towards that. If I'm lookin gfor someone to install windows on my home do you think I'm going to have an easier time finding LBJ Group Inc. or Davenport Window Cleaners?

Whether it be customer name recognition or when you start a website having a targeted name will help you rank better in google. You can have a parent company and subcorporations under it targeted but it seems crazy your trying to find a business name that works for medical, construction, food service, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
If I were to name my business again it would start with an "A".

There is an advertising advantage to being first in the phone book or, on the internet.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

There is an advertising advantage to being first in the phone book or, on the internet.
Good thinking, I never even thought of that aspect of it. Many people may not make it past the A's and will call first person or on the list for a given service.

one tip I would give which I have heard from many small business owners and service providers is never name your business letters like A&J Contracting. there's way too many names out there like that, its hard to remember, etc.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Twenty years ago, I would have agreed with you.

Today, virtually nobody under the age of 60 uses the phone book. Second, the internet does not alphabetize. It sorts due to a complex algorithm that changes month by month.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Twenty years ago, I would have agreed with you.

Today, virtually nobody under the age of 60 uses the phone book. Second, the internet does not alphabetize. It sorts due to a complex algorithm that changes month by month.
True probably less relevant today than in the past but none the less many things are still alphabatized whether its angies list, yellowpages.com or other sites that list local businesses.

I agree with you SEO is probably the biggest elment today and picking a relevant name as it gives you a headstart on the SEo front but it cant hurt to have a name iwht A

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,917 times
Pick a name that has two syllables. Think twitter, goole, ibm, kinko. There easy to say and remember. It will easier when creating a websitw and branding. Hope that helps! Good luck

Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandbouncehouse View Post
Pick a name that has two syllables. Think twitter, goole, ibm, kinko. There easy to say and remember. It will easier when creating a websitw and branding. Hope that helps! Good luck
This is a cool idea. Look at all the companies that have a cool catchy name that dosn't really mean anything. Now this is probably more common in websites and digital companies than with physical products as physical products the name usually references what the product is and does for example swiffer sweeper but for digital products or sites like you said yahoo, google, zynga

I think to do this you need to have a real strong plan to brand it and brand it well. There is something to be said for having a straightforward product or company name. If I'm trying to rank on google and search engines which is super important say I got a name of a new product like a swiffer sweeper. If I call it the vroom that doesn't really mean anything to search engines unless I build up backlinks and recognition of hte term vroom. on the other hand if I call my sweeper the magic floor sweeper, there's already a built in search engine strategy. Anyone searching for floor sweepers has a chance of pulling up on my product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business