Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times

Advertisements

I have a couple who come into our restaurant, they have come twice, the first time they left shortly after sitting down and ordered the drinks, the restaurant was packed, just cleaned one empty table, so somewhat understandable, but they kind of made a big scene and were annoying to say the least. The second time they came we only had 2 tables full and they were seated and served promptly, they shared the soup they had and appetizers. They got their entrees and said it was not cooked/prepared properly, which wasn't true, it was about perfect. what they ordered just some basic thing every restaurant served which can not be bad like what they acted, but they acted so mad, so we apologized many times and offered to cook something else for them to try, they refused and said don't want to try anything else, but after we said they can leave without paying anything, they said they would come back and try again. I would actually prefer them not come back, how could I tell these customers next time that we won't serve them, or should we go ahead and serve them even with the chance they won't pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:14 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I have a couple who come into our restaurant, they have come twice, the first time they left shortly after sitting down and ordered the drinks, the restaurant was packed, just cleaned one empty table, so somewhat understandable, but they kind of made a big scene and were annoying to say the least. The second time they came we only had 2 tables full and they were seated and served promptly, they shared the soup they had and appetizers. They got their entrees and said it was not cooked/prepared properly, which wasn't true, it was about perfect. what they ordered just some basic thing every restaurant served which can not be bad like what they acted, but they acted so mad, so we apologized many times and offered to cook something else for them to try, they refused and said don't want to try anything else, but after we said they can leave without paying anything, they said they would come back and try again. I would actually prefer them not come back, how could I tell these customers next time that we won't serve them, or should we go ahead and serve them even with the chance they won't pay...
Everyone has their limit when it comes to difficult customers, and it appears you have reached yours with this couple. If 99% of your customers see the value in what you offer, don't spend time trying to please the 1% that doesn't. That being said, there are 2 sides to every story, so it's hard for me to say that they're unreasonable or impossible. You acknowledge there was a service lapse on their first visit. Personally, I would probably give them another chance. If they're a problem at all this time, that's a perfect opportunity to ask them not to return. And I would insist that they pay for everything that they consumed.
But if you're set on refusing them, I would say something along the lines of: "You've been our guest on two occasions now, and each time has been an unpleasant experience. As much as we would appreciate your business, I just don't think we're going to be able to please you, and think it would be best for all of us if you chose somewhere else to dine."

Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Everyone has their limit when it comes to difficult customers, and it appears you have reached yours with this couple. If 99% of your customers see the value in what you offer, don't spend time trying to please the 1% that doesn't. That being said, there are 2 sides to every story, so it's hard for me to say that they're unreasonable or impossible. You acknowledge there was a service lapse on their first visit. Personally, I would probably give them another chance. If they're a problem at all this time, that's a perfect opportunity to ask them not to return. And I would insist that they pay for everything that they consumed.
But if you're set on refusing them, I would say something along the lines of: "You've been our guest on two occasions now, and each time has been an unpleasant experience. As much as we would appreciate your business, I just don't think we're going to be able to please you, and think it would be best for all of us if you chose somewhere else to dine."
I think that sounds perfect.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:29 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
I think I would ask around at other local restaurants to see if this couple is pulling the same trick at their places. There are those folks who do this just to get a free meal. Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
Matt,
They are scammers.
Pure and simple, use the nice saying above.
I had customers that were horrible, even my other customers
couldn't believe how they acted, and I got rid of them.
Want to get rid of them??
Charge them anyway.
It works, trust me.
You will never see them again.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

Great response. They are the type of people looking for free meals. They probably do this a lot and get away with it. Write them off.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 AM

488 posts, read 819,527 times
If they're just picky and difficult to please, I'd say stick to the attitude that the customer is always right. There's really no polite way to say "you're unwelcome here, don't come back" and they'd could retaliate by leaving negative reviews on yelp and telling everyone they know to avoid your place, which could cost you a lot more in lost business than the extra effort it would take to please them. It depends a bit on your restaurant's overall reputation in the community and how busy it is. If they're obvious scammers, however, you'd have no choice.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I think you're sending the wrong message by giving bad customers their entire check for free. They should pay for the other items. If you can't offer them a different meal to replace the one they don't like, of course you shouldn't charge for that meal. If it's a customer you want to come back, you can always offer a free dessert.

And yes, the kitchen does mess up sometimes, so don't let the scammers blind you from seeing true issues that may need to be fixed to keep your good customers coming back.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
It's just not worth it financially or emotionally to try and please people who just don't want to be pleased. I owned an award-winning "Best of (my city)" cafe for several years. We had to "fire" a half dozen or so customers over that time because they were extremely difficult and in one case, dangerous. They simply ruin your day, cost you money, demoralize your staff and make you look like a buffoon. We sent them up the street a couple of blocks to a competitor.

The danger is that they take to social media and not only trash you, but harass you and your business. Many review sites allow you, the owner, to respond publicly on those comments. Generally, intelligent people will see through them. But keep in mind you'll want to watch over your social media profile once you do fire them.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
You are much nicer than I. The second time if I were sure there was nothing wrong with the food I would charge them for what they had eaten/drank and said I am so sorry we can not please you. I hope you are able to find a restaurant to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business