Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:56 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,252,369 times

Advertisements

I own a small event staffing company and I followed up with a client through email three times about payment and each time he said payment was on the way. I still don't have payment. This is the first time this has happened. I'm wondering what should be my next step?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
I would call him tomorrow and explain the seriousness of him not paying, tell him to cancel the check and mail another check. I'm assuming it's been some time, at least a month? Was there a invoice date for payment? You could also tell the client that you will be adding interest to the bill if payment not received by a certain date. I would set a firm deadline, and tell him you will send a collection agency after him or see him in small claims court( I don't know the bill amount...). Follow through and do everything you say. You can't get a reputation for not accepting payment, but obviously you don't want to be a jerk to your client and get a bad reputation that way either.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I own a small event staffing company and I followed up with a client through email three times about payment and each time he said payment was on the way. I still don't have payment. This is the first time this has happened. I'm wondering what should be my next step?
I would send then a registered letter with a copy of the bill marked "past due".

From there we would go to court.

Who need customers that do not pay???

Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I would call him tomorrow and explain the seriousness of him not paying, tell him to cancel the check and mail another check. I'm assuming it's been some time, at least a month? Was there a invoice date for payment? You could also tell the client that you will be adding interest to the bill if payment not received by a certain date. I would set a firm deadline, and tell him you will send a collection agency after him or see him in small claims court( I don't know the bill amount...). Follow through and do everything you say. You can't get a reputation for not accepting payment, but obviously you don't want to be a jerk to your client and get a bad reputation that way either.
This needs to be in writing at this point.

OP..........do not beg for your money.........you earned it.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
I would call and ask to speak to the accounts payable person and find out what is going on. If this is a one person company, you probably should have gotten payment up front. Can you take credit cards? That check might bounce.

If you have a PayPal account, you can email the customer an invoice and they can pay with a credit card.

Also, I don't believe you can retroactively charge interest. I think those terms need to be stated on the invoice.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
This is something that really is best thought through BEFORE getting customers. That said, we all learn as we go.

As a general rule:
Have your boilerplate on the back of your invoices or accompanying any online billing
payment received within 10 days of emailed invoice - small discount
payment within 35 days from invoice received - normal
-if not, then invoice re-sent via mail with past due stamped on it
payment received 35 to 65 days - customer gets noted as a slow-pay and max credit reduced - in other words, next time the customer wants service over your credit limit to them, you refuse unless paid in advance. Starting at day 35 a 2% per month interest fee is added. With many of these customers, they will continue as customers but habitually late pay. (Their game -it is stupid, but whatever)
Payment outstanding after 65 days - all service stopped, dunning notices sent. In your boilerplate, you will have already spelled out that the CUSTOMER is responsible for all collection fees and charges, and that you or your agents may repossess any inventory sold to the customer and still be due the cost of recovery. You also put in your boilerplate that you may notify credit reporting agencies and other vendors of the late pay.

Paypal can be a way out in some situations, but let that money sit for a month in case of a chargeback. Remember that as the original debtor, you can call and be annoying a lot more than a collection agency.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Have a buddy who is an attorney? Have him write a letter on his stationery. That typically does the trick.

That being said, ALWAYS have a letter of agreement before initiating a project. And make sure there's a clause where the client will pay all necessary collection fees in event of litigation.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:12 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
FreshFresh,
Small claims court.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
FreshFresh,
Small claims court.
Avoid. It takes forever. A letter from an attorney will do the same thing.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:17 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
If the business is local, stop in with a copy of the bill and ask for a check......if they suggest it is in the mail, will be sent be polite but explain it is seriously past due and you need a check today. Then say nothing.....stand there and no matter what they say, just keep reiterating you need a check today.

If you have the "I'm not leaving without a check today" it will get uncomfortable but I think you will leave with a check or your answer if they had any intentions of paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business