Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
Little Caesars doesn't even offer delivery.

Plus, their pizzas are frozen and thus are not even marketed to those who are concerned with taste. That's like comparing a $35k truck with a $75k coupe. Neither is in a price war with the other. Same with LC and PJ's.
You have obviously never hung out with college kids! Price is priority! Ever notice Hungry Howies pizza only sets up in college towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 AM

298 posts, read 299,628 times
No, as it isn't true at all.

PJ's clearly sells on quality, not price. LC only sells on price and doesn't offer delivery. (Both do $3 billion in sales per year). I don't know anything about HH, other than the fact that I've never met anyone who's ever bought a pizza from them. This list says they only have 550 locations, compared to 4000-14000 for the big four pizza chains:

2014 Top 100 Pizza Companies List - Pizza Today

Old 06-04-2015, 07:26 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:

PJ's clearly sells on quality, not price. LC only sells on price and doesn't offer delivery. (Both do $3 billion in sales per year). I don't know anything about HH, other than the fact that I've never met anyone who's ever bought a pizza from them. This list says they only have 550 locations, compared to 4000-14000 for the big four pizza chains:

Funny LC is fourth on your top 100 list and yet you somehow surmise they don't have any impact or compete with papa johns? Well that's laughable

Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You have obviously never hung out with college kids! Price is priority! Ever notice Hungry Howies pizza only sets up in college towns?
Exactly if I am gonna get corporate pizza I would rather get a Little Caesars pepperoni for $5 than a Papa John, Dominoes, or Pizza Hut for $12 or more. Real pizzas are sold in real pizzerias, they might cost more or as much as the big chains but they are fresher and taste better.

Even some frozen supermarket pizzas like rising or stuffed crust cost more than Little Caesars.

I tried what corporate pizza calls thin crust from 2 different places and had 2 return both. They are vile, it's like burnt crackers with pizza topping.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:

PJ's sells on hype and promotion. Their pizza is not real italian pizza, but it's priced as if it were. It's the biggest rip off of the big 4.

and all you are doing is supporting the owner's awful face lifts and soy sauce hair.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Funny LC is fourth on your top 100 list and yet you somehow surmise they don't have any impact or compete with papa johns? Well that's laughable
We've been over this. LC sells a 100% frozen product for carry-out only and charges 2-3x less. They are not competing for the same customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
PJ's sells on hype and promotion. Their pizza is not real italian pizza, but it's priced as if it were. It's the biggest rip off of the big 4.

and all you are doing is supporting the owner's awful face lifts and soy sauce hair.
It's priced as if customers prefer it over the competitors' pre-packaged, bland tasting products. I doubt there's a fresh vegetable in any of the other top four chain stores.

Ah yes, the not real Italian pizza argument. What is the pizza chain that shreds a little uncooked cheese to melt over the cooked pie? I've only seen one restaurant in the US do that and they had just one location.

Pizza, as the world now knows it, is American. We renamed it, re-styled it, re-shaped it, shrunk it, stretched it, flattened it, and made it a casserole (with NYC thin slice style being the latest of all pizza incarnations). Letting a slice sit for an hour with flies crapping all over it only to be reheated like a late night snack is the least Italian version in existence. Or as New Yorkers incorrectly call it, authentic style!

I support nothing John Schnatter says or does regarding politics. Having worked for a few PJ stores years ago though, I can tell you that it's the only company I've ever worked for that made money every week of its existence. Every store that I was in, every driver, every manager, every franchise owner, and knucklehead Schnatter himself all made more and more money every year.

By all means though, round up $750k more and open a Dairy Queen franchise.

Last edited by TS808; 06-05-2015 at 02:17 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 07:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
We've been over this. LC sells a 100% frozen product for carry-out only and charges 2-3x less. They are not competing for the same customer.

It's priced as if customers prefer it over the competitors' pre-packaged, bland tasting products. I doubt there's a fresh vegetable in any of the other top four chain stores.

Ah yes, the not real Italian pizza argument. What is the pizza chain that shreds a little uncooked cheese to melt over the cooked pie? I've only seen one restaurant in the US do that and they had just one location.

Pizza, as the world now knows it, is American. We renamed it, re-styled it, re-shaped it, shrunk it, stretched it, flattened it, and made it a casserole (with NYC thin slice style being the latest of all pizza incarnations). Letting a slice sit for an hour with flies crapping all over it only to be reheated like a late night snack is the least Italian version in existence. Or as New Yorkers incorrectly call it, authentic style!

I support nothing John Schnatter says or does regarding politics. Having worked for a few PJ stores years ago though, I can tell you that it's the only company I've ever worked for that made money every week of its existence. Every store that I was in, every driver, every manager, every franchise owner, and knucklehead Schnatter himself all made more and more money every year.

By all means though, round up $750k more and open a Dairy Queen franchise.

LC and PJ certainly do share some of the same customers. I'm one of them who eats both from time to time

Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Transaction fees exceed profits on small purchases! $2 slice of pizza, charged to a card might cost the pizza man $.75-.90 in CC fees!
No, they don't.

And if they do, they're doing it wrong and deserve to be raped with fees. You can get many card reader programs for under 3% per swipe

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 PM

Exactly. I don't know any business, large or small, that pays more than 3% for it's credit card processing.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:47 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Quote:
can open a unit with an investment of less than $250,000
They need to work on their pizza. If it ain't hand tossed pizza made-to-order pizza then you might as well warm up a DiGiorno frozen pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business