Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 683 times

Advertisements

HI MY NAME IS CORINA AND I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT EXACLY TO DO.I WANT TO OPEN A DOLLAR STORE BUT ALSO HAVE OTHER THINGS CLOTHES SHOES EXCT.I HAVE A FEW IDEADS ON WHERE TO GO TO GET THE THINGS I NEED.NOW THE LOCATION I FOUND IS A VERY GOOD LOCATION LOTS OF TRAFFIC FLOW BUT THE LANDLORD IS ASKING FOR 2200 A MONTH I JUST FEEL LIKE THIS IS JUST TO MUCH.I AM LOOKING FOR SPACE AND INVENTORY ALL ON MY OWN AND AM FEELING A LITTLE OVER WELMED AND FEARFUL.I HAVE WORKED UNDER PEOPLE ALL MY LIFE AND I FEEL LIKE IT IS TIME FOR ME TO BE MY BOSS SO I DONT WANT TO CONTRACT OR CONNECT WITH ANY ONE BUT IS THAT THE EASY WAY OR BESY WAY??????? PLEASE IF ANYONE IS OUT THIS JUST A ADVISE OR PEACE OF MIND IS ALL I ASK.

THANK YOU
&
GOOD LUCK TO EVRY ONE WITH A DREAM
CORINA J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 10:28 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
How much cash do you have to invest in your store? You need to not only get a lease, but utilities, insurance, signs, fixtures, POS system and most of all, inventory. There are trade shows that are targeted to dollar store buyers where you can get merchandise.

What do you mean you don't want to contract or connect with anyone?

Old 12-03-2015, 11:46 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You aren't going to get any valid advice about what to do from strangers on the internet. No one can tell you whether or not it is a good time to open a shop, not without a ton of information about you, your business plan, the area you live in, your retail and management experience, or how hard you are willing to work, or how smart you work.

The only thing I can tell you is that I consider $2200 a month to be pretty cheap for shop space with a high traffic count. If there is not a high traffic count, it probably isn't a good idea to rent that one. Out of the way shops can be cheap, but they don't have the customer exposure. Also, don't rent any shop that doesn't have adequate parking available, or your customers can't get to you to spend their money.

The SBA (Small Business Administration) used to offer some really good classes on how to open and manage a small business. At one time, the classes were a requirement before you could get a SBA loan. So check with them to see if the classes are offered in your area. The information in those classes will help you.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:58 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corina j View Post
HI MY NAME IS CORINA AND I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT EXACLY TO DO.I WANT TO OPEN A DOLLAR STORE BUT ALSO HAVE OTHER THINGS CLOTHES SHOES EXCT.I HAVE A FEW IDEADS ON WHERE TO GO TO GET THE THINGS I NEED.NOW THE LOCATION I FOUND IS A VERY GOOD LOCATION LOTS OF TRAFFIC FLOW BUT THE LANDLORD IS ASKING FOR 2200 A MONTH I JUST FEEL LIKE THIS IS JUST TO MUCH.I AM LOOKING FOR SPACE AND INVENTORY ALL ON MY OWN AND AM FEELING A LITTLE OVER WELMED AND FEARFUL.I HAVE WORKED UNDER PEOPLE ALL MY LIFE AND I FEEL LIKE IT IS TIME FOR ME TO BE MY BOSS SO I DONT WANT TO CONTRACT OR CONNECT WITH ANY ONE BUT IS THAT THE EASY WAY OR BESY WAY??????? PLEASE IF ANYONE IS OUT THIS JUST A ADVISE OR PEACE OF MIND IS ALL I ASK.

THANK YOU
&
GOOD LUCK TO EVRY ONE WITH A DREAM
CORINA J
BEFORE opening any store and paying rent you should test your idea first. If you are selling items (even if they are clothes) try ebay FIRST. It will cost you .30 cents to list an item for sale. That is a lot better than paying $2200 a month for rent, plus insurance, utilities, sales taxes, etc.

You can also try Craigslist. However, I wouldn't want people from Craigslist coming to my house and its probably not a good avenue for selling used clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business