Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
I am thinking , if they close 150 , they might open more in other markets. India is one big market which they havent conquered and with a pro business govt , it might be possible ..China is also a bit shaky now, so would be a wise move..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Most of the workers are being shuffled into the stores near the previous locations though. That's good right?.
Not necessarily. How close do you think the nearest Walmart is from the one closing in Walnut, Alabama? By the looks of the list many are in very small towns. OK so the 32 hour no benefit deal looks bad to us. But as someone said many of those folks don't have a lot of other optioins. And just like with the $15 minimum wage if they were forced to offer benefits more jobs will be lost.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not necessarily. How close do you think the nearest Walmart is from the one closing in Walnut, Alabama? By the looks of the list many are in very small towns. OK so the 32 hour no benefit deal looks bad to us. But as someone said many of those folks don't have a lot of other optioins. And just like with the $15 minimum wage if they were forced to offer benefits more jobs will be lost.
I agree some are inconveniencedoing but at least Walmart is trying to retain employees.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:39 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Why go to Walmart when I can avoid the experience that is a trip to Wally-world and just have Amazon ship me what I need in a day for free with prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Sometimes it is better to handle things before you buy them.
Exactly. I just bought a coat on Amazon. I ordered a size XL, but the coat that was shipped to me was marked XL on the coat label and L on the zip out liner label. I have a similar coat by that same brand in an XL that fits me just fine, but this new one is too small. So now I have to ship it back at my expense. When you buy on Amazon or ebay you never know what you are going to get as most of their clothes are seconds for one reason or another, even if it is just a mismarked size.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Why go to Walmart when I can avoid the experience that is a trip to Wally-world and just have Amazon ship me what I need in a day for free with prime?

Exactly. I just bought a coat on Amazon. I ordered a size XL, but the coat that was shipped to me was marked XL on the coat label and L on the zip out liner label. I have a similar coat by that same brand in an XL that fits me just fine, but this new one is too small. So now I have to ship it back at my expense. When you buy on Amazon or ebay you never know what you are going to get as most of their clothes are seconds for one reason or another, even if it is just a mismarked size.
I thought wronged size will give you the ability to get free shipping. I'd call customer service about it if it was from Amazon.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I am thinking , if they close 150 , they might open more in other markets. India is one big market which they havent conquered and with a pro business govt , it might be possible ..China is also a bit shaky now, so would be a wise move..
I think, for now, it's more about the domestic delivery channel. Of the planned 300 store opennings for 2016, around 250 are Neighborhood Markets.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:18 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
Walmart has significantly downsized their workforce.
They cut employee hours andinitiated hiring freezes resulting in overworked, stressed and angry associates..
They are grossly understaffed, guest service is the worse anywhere.. They have 30 registers and 5 open most times..
The departments are void of staff, often one employee being responsible for 3 or more departments..
They continue to stockpile products they do not need nor will ever sell, or get to the sales floor because it takes people to do that..
The amount of fresh food product waste is incomprehensible because of the way they buy...

Customers are getting pissed, it's getting worse weekly.
It's not going to change..

Frankly the joke is on the American public who worshiped this behomouth..
Allowing them to ruin small town business to save a few bucks on shoddy products..
All for the return of angry, overworked, employees with zero customer service skills..

Walmart could be a great retailer when they learn again that the customer is everything..

Old 01-16-2016, 04:28 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

Where did you hear that part timers have no benefits? It's not true. It might take a bit longer to go into affect but anyone who WANTS them can have the same benefits. Some might not be quite as 'enhanced' as full time bennies but they are still available. My 2016 benefit book is nearly 1/2" thick showing ALL the bennies available to all employees. You would be surprised, I think. It amazes me how many different types of insurance they offer.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I feel bad for the workers of these stores. Many of them are pretty much unemployable if not for Walmart taking them on.

In general, I avoid Walmart at all possible. I'm willing to pay a bit more to better retailers and local businesses. I can get consumables at a local union grocery store, and then scoot over and get an oil change at a locally owned place, supporting the local economy as much as possible. People don't realize that bare bottom prices come with a cost on society, such as a company like Walmart which tells it's employees to get government aid.

Walmart does NOT tell it's employees "to get government aid". That is a rumor that's been going around for years and needs to stop. Yes, some do get food stamps...mostly single moms with a couple of kids...but the majority of our employees do not. It's like that picture that gets circulated every year around the holidays that Walmart collects food for their employees. The do not and never have. That picture doesn't even show ANYTHING related to Walmart. I have customers who come into my store wearing their work uniforms...other stores, Home Depot and even the utility companies...and they use food stamps. So why is Walmart the only one singled out?

Old 01-16-2016, 04:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I'm actually going to take the high road here and not bash Walmart's merchandise quality or business ethics, but rather discuss the economics of this decision (which is the forum where this thread is located, after all). Walmart is closing 269 stores worldwide, 154 of them in the US. Many thousands of employees will lose their jobs, although Walmart said they are offereing those losing their jobs severance pay and interview training. They did mention they plan on opening many new stores, so it sounds like they are planning on closing stores which aren't making money and opening more Supercenters and the like. I looked at the closure list and was surprised to find that two stores were closing in Houston, a Supercenter on the NW side of town, and a Neighborhood Market very close to my old house. Both stores are run down and in bad shape compared to the zillions of other Walmarts in the city, so it's closing the right ones around here, IMO.

I believe Walmart is probably making the same types of decisions on closures; either closing stores that are slow and dead, or closing ones that are in disrepair and in need of a lot of maintenance and better/more staff to get back up to speed. I wonder if low retail sales compared to years past and low gas prices mean a recession is on the way. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business