Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear your opinions about that.

What are your prospects about 2016 and 2017.

Anybody starting a business this year??

It seems like an unfriendly year to start a business due to massive volatility and even big companies are cutting spending.

But i think 2017 won't be any better than 2016.

So i'm confused.

What say you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 03:37 AM

So nobody is starting a business

What a sad situation

Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 AM

106,688 posts, read 108,856,202 times
being retired we are not looking for to much of a business but my wife and i have taken our photography a bit more commercialized and have been doing more work for local business's taking website photography shots for them .

right now it pays for some decent lunches but we may take it up a notch . no weddings though , not something we would ever do , to much stress

Old 02-16-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
being retired we are not looking for to much of a business but my wife and i have taken our photography a bit more commercialized and have been doing more work for local business's taking website photography shots for them .

right now it pays for some decent lunches but we may take it up a notch . no weddings though , not something we would ever do , to much stress
Give me some advice mathjak

Have you ever started a business before working??

It doesn't look very friendly out there

Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 AM

106,688 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i had my own air conditioning company on the side decades ago when i first started out as an hvac trouble shooter .

mostly weekends and nights . i was pulling in good money back in those days as a sideline . it was hard , dirty , dangerous work up on roofs and in hot machine rooms and nothing i wanted to do eventually for a full time living . i am a technical guy and much prefer control panel design and troubleshooting to the bull work involved of commercial compressor changes and installations.

we do own an LLC that at one time held lots of real estate in manhattan but we sold most of that off through the years . not much left in it today and eventually when the last two property's can be sold we will terminate the llc . douglas elliman handled the daily activity for us keeping us out of the the daily issues where they could which is 99% of the time ...

as a commissioned sales engineer my time was better spent on my career while the managing agents did what they do best . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-16-2016 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had my own air conditioning company on the side decades ago when i first started out as an hvac trouble shooter .

mostly weekends and nights . i was pulling in good money back in those days as a sideline . it was hard , dirty , dangerous work up on roofs and in hot machine rooms and nothing i wanted to do eventually for a full time living . i am a technical guy and much prefer control panel design and troubleshooting to the bull work involved of commercial compressor changes and installations.

we do own an LLC that at one time held lots of real estate in manhattan but we sold most of that off through the years . not much left in it today and eventually when the last two property's can be sold we will terminate the llc . douglas elliman handled the daily activity for us keeping us out of the the daily issues where they could which is 99% of the time ...

as a commissioned sales engineer my time was better spent on my career while the managing agents did what they do best . .
How's HVAC industry mathjak??

Is it still booming

I assume most of production is gone abroad.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM

33 posts, read 46,299 times
Look at it this way; if you can start a profitable business during tough times, imagine what you would be able to accomplish when things are prospering. This might depend on the business or industry but you get point.

Now to answer your question, my partner and I are working a DIY auto repair business and planning to open our first location later this year.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenGuy View Post
Look at it this way; if you can start a profitable business during tough times, imagine what you would be able to accomplish when things are prospering. This might depend on the business or industry but you get point.

Now to answer your question, my partner and I are working a DIY auto repair business and planning to open our first location later this year.
Good luck man

But you know better than me times are tough in Houston now.

Yeah i thought like that but thing is i'm not so sure if it'll be profitable.

You can imagine struggles of a new company.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
How's HVAC industry mathjak??

Is it still booming

I assume most of production is gone abroad.
You don't need to choose a booming industry. You just need your own little niche, a small piece of an industry that will be profitable for you. Doesn't have to be unique or huge, just something you can do to fill a need.

BTW, my friends are in the HVAC industry, they have a profitable factory/warehouse here in the US.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM

33 posts, read 46,299 times
Some businesses/industries thrive during tough times.

Example: individuals that lost the house that they could no longer afford, became renters. That's a business opportunity if you're an apartment complex owner.

Like the other posters mentioned, it doesn't have to be a booming industry. Just make sure that you're fulfilling a need from a decent size market base.

You mentioned Houston. Sure is sucks to be in oil/gas industry right now but not all individuals are feeling the same way. Just ask anyone in Houston that works in medical industry. Medical centers are being constructed left & right. Not to mention all the jobs and supporting businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business