Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Yes many care about Organic, Country of origin, jobs here in America, and supporting local farmers, local small businesses and food grown here.
Do you extend that same "patriotic flag waving" concern for everything?

Have you curtailed driving because the majority of gasoline is the product of foreign operations?
Do you buy only american made phones, tablets, computers and electronics or are they all foreign products?
Do you boycott shows made and produced in foreign countries?
What are the country labels on your cloths, american or foreign?

Fact is, people are only concerned when it suits them to be concerned, but I guarantee you, convenience and price wins out over nationalism everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
When it comes to tuna, a lot i'm sure, has to do with the regulations. The US has very strict laws on the harvest of highly migratory species and even while in international waters, US fishermen must follow US regs. Many other country's don't have the same regs and/or don't care. I'm not big on the practices used in harvesting tunas and some places other then the US have been cracking down on these methods but they are still used, especially by the Asian fleets as they really don't care!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ According to WP:
Wild Planet carries only wild caught products. Our albacore tuna comes from pole and troll fleets in the North Pacific working in the United States and Japan. We also source a smaller amount of albacore from pole and troll vessels working in New Zealand and the southern Pacific waters. Our skipjack and yellowfin tuna are pole caught in Indonesia and Japan by small-scale family fishing vessels.

Our sardines are caught in the North Pacific and come from both California and Japan. Our white anchovies are caught in Peru.

All of our salmon are wild-caught from clean, clear waters in the U.S. and Canada. Because of their shorter lifespan they do not have the chance to accumulate higher amounts of mercury.

It is of interest that our partner cannery in Vietnam qualifies to ship to the EU, whose sanitation standards are higher than US standards. This plant has reached a higher standard of sanitation than most US canneries that do not qualify for EU export.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
Speaking of foodstuffs, Toblerone is US-owned. I suspect the chocolate company Ritter also is. I think one or two of those Muesli breakfast cereal companies are. Nestle. And then there was Volvo, but now it's Chinese.
Toblerone is from Switzerland, but it's owned by an American company. Ritter Sport is a German company, family owned.
Nestlé is of course Swiss and not American.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I know Americans are going over to foreign countries to have factories built and produce their products (not food) and then they ship to the USA where all they do is package and ship. And I know it is happening in the real estate markets where the foreigners are coming over and buying properties here in the USA. What I didn't know, was that it was happening in the food industry.

When the U.S. constantly imports more than it exports (current account deficits), then capital must flow into the U.S. to finance these deficits. Foreigners buy with this capital American companies or real estate.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Do you extend that same "patriotic flag waving" concern for everything?

Have you curtailed driving because the majority of gasoline is the product of foreign operations?
Do you buy only american made phones, tablets, computers and electronics or are they all foreign products?
Do you boycott shows made and produced in foreign countries?
What are the country labels on your cloths, american or foreign?

Fact is, people are only concerned when it suits them to be concerned, but I guarantee you, convenience and price wins out over nationalism everyday.

In some areas I buy normally or bought recently domestic made products: Flatware, porcelain, pots, pans, kitchen utensils, home appliances, towels, bedlinen, tools.

But I think I am out on a limb. The vast majority isn't interested where products are made.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
I alway buy USA when I can. I actually do look at where the product, particularly sea food originates from. Though no big on being organic, there's just too little environmental regulation over there.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:24 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Has anyone ever tried :

American Tuna

Old 02-29-2016, 08:28 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I alway buy USA when I can. I actually do look at where the product, particularly sea food originates from. Though no big on being organic, there's just too little environmental regulation over there.
But here is the catch, if a US flagged fishing vessel catches fish in foreign waters and cans that fish on the ship or brings it back to an american cannery (even if its not within the continental USA), it can legally claim it is a product of the USA. So, you can be buying tuna from a company based in California that cans their tuna in Alaska but caught the tuna at the mouth of the Citarum River in Indonesia (the worlds most polluted river) and, so long as that fish is caught by a US flagged vessel and processed on US soil (US Flagged vessel, within any US state or territory, or any US possession, or even in the basement of the US embassy in India) it will and legally can be labeled as american tuna or Made in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business