Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times

Advertisements

As a former sales associate I find the sales techniques on various TV networks ,but especially QVC
and HSN as captivating, informative, interactive, fun and a bargain on many products. Many of the
standard folks or product hosts are celebrities in their own right. The key's to their success I believe
are as follows :

Each item for sale is critiqued behind the scenes , rehearsed and teleprompter The hosts are articulate in both benefit sales and features intermingling rarely missing a point always talking while demonstrating function at the same time. If teamed up one is applying the other perhaps tasting , agreeing, excited, adding even more benefits like "today's special" or never again offer! They are great "listeners" as callers qualify why they purchased ( testimonial) . At times the caller will discuss a previous product not within the segment so the host needs to be aware of previous product. The sales may include the product factory rep, designer or professionals to add credibility and facts. Enthusiasm is contagious , and as a consumer you share the excitement of a must have product. Many use the products they sell.

If posters have additional input it's welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Shopping channels make money because -- I truly believe -- most people are suckers.
And the elderly, sick, disabled, and home-bound are captive audiences. Although, not all the buyers fit those categories.

I know bit about the topic.
The sales people try to convince the gullible that they are the viewer's friend, who would only tell them the truth, and wants the best for the viewer. Bovine *****.

It is my opinion that most of the sales people -- and that's all these hosts are -- glorified sales people -- who in their own twisted thinking THINK they are most than garden variety hucksters. Most people have never heard of them. Unless who watch a home shopping channel you'd have no idea who they are. They are NOT celebrities.

The hosts at any given time:
-- say the have tried whatever it is they are selling at the time
-- say they own whatever it is they are selling at the time
-- say that whatever they are selling at the time is THE best, THE most, THE top, etc. Yet they say that about everything they sell. EVERY skin cleanser is THE best, every lipstick is THE best, etc.

They say "well I don't really where pants, or high heel shoes, or striped tops, etc -- but THIS one I would buy, or THIS one I do own, or THIS one I do like. How can they possibly like EVERY. damn. thing. they. sell.

They also talk for an hour on a given product --YET -- never give the ingredients. Oh they'll say it's a vitamin C cream with X% or amount of peptides……but what the hell ELSE is in it? Glycerin? Coco butter? parabens? Talc? Aluminum? Formaldehyde?

They'll sell a food product like stuffed flounder, and they'll talk about the crabmeat OK…but how much SODIUM is in it? How much FAT? How much cholesterol?

Ever seen any of the "Hoarders" shows……and seen boxes and boxes of shopping channel merchandise?
Old ladies call in and say they have MULTIPLE Kitchen Aid mixers? MULTIPLE computer tablets? ….and are buying another.

I don't know what the point of the initial post is.
I personally don't have much at all positive to say about the sales techniques of home shopping TV sales people
Personally, I think it's down right deceptive to say you can get this item home for 10.00 when that's just one payment.
And on QVC the payments are never just payments -- they are ALWAYS EASY PAYS. I've seen them sell $2,400-dollar items and say you can get i home for $600……or four EASY PAYS of $600 -- when they know that for MOST of their viewers $600 is NOT an EASY payment.
And let's not even talk about how the price that's most highlighted on the screen is the PAYMENT price -- not the total item price. So I have no doubt that many of their elderly, viewers would be confused about that. And those with vision problems -- God help them -- because they have to go buy what the sales person SAYS -- an most stress the payments -- NOT the total price.

Also, the hosts are always saying get it -- and if you don't like it. You can send it back. YET they NEVER SAY -- that IF you return too many items you could be banned or cut off from shopping? (so I've heard) NEVER do they say that?

I just don't have much to say about salespeople who I believe are deceptive manipulators who take advantage of the suckers who are born every minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business