Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I got quite involved in one back in 1995 and could never get it going, but sold the "H" out of their two great products, Pycnogenol and Collodial Silver. I still use both these products and the company is still doing business.

I have found MLM products to be of high quality and "maybe" a bit over priced, but I can't say that about the company I worked with in 1995. Prices on the two products were very fair. Now that was about 24 yrs ago.

A friend worked to get me into her Amway business years ago and I could not get there.

My daughter is "excited" about getting into a company working with a Dermal HGH product and it's good to see her enthused. One NEEDS to be enthused with the products and then they can sell it. But can be difficult to build the business.

Your experiences with this type business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I dont like MLMS at all.....my family was trying to get me involved with one.....most people dont make hardly any money selling them....a lot of them are scams it seems like to me

Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont like MLMS at all.....my family was trying to get me involved with one.....most people dont make hardly any money selling them....a lot of them are scams it seems like to me
I don't know about scams, so many still in business many years later..I believe it all depends when one gets into the business and the product lines. All business has to advertise and advertising costs money. So one way or another have to get the word out. Look at the medical world and the billions they spend on advtg and on our airwaves.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
they're basically all scams and often destroy relationships when people pester their friends into buying garbage from them or sucker their friends into working under them.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
they're basically all scams and often destroy relationships when people pester their friends into buying garbage from them or sucker their friends into working under them.
This. 100%.

I see it all the time on FB.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:41 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Scams. A study that the FTC commissioned that shows that 99% of people make less than minimum wage or lose money. Don't do it!
https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fi...0008-57281.pdf

Old 10-18-2018, 07:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I won't go so far as to call it a "scam." Nothing is concealed, people only deceive themselves.

The problem is that there is almost a cult-like mentality involved by so many, a "group-think" that encourages you to shut out or ignore those that are talking sense by referring to them as non-believers or even discrediting their legitimate concerns.

This article does a good job talkign about a recently popular one, LuLaRo, that at one point had 150,000 sales people. And remember, LuLaRo has already sold you the clothes, whether or not you sell them isn't totally relevant to them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...pire-is-a-scam

Perhaps the important question is, "Where in this Pyramid do I fit?"

Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
It worked out well for Ponzi....

Till it didn't.

Don't waste your time and effort.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
I think your best opportunity is to find a new MLM sales and distribution channel so that you start early on when the pyramid is building. That means stay away from established MLM markets, such as Amway, Herbalife, Shackley, etc., that are saturated. Success is predicated on building a deep hierarchy of sellers and recruiters beneath you so you get a percentage of as many indirect sales as possible. You'd better be good at doing group presentations and holding functions, such as lunches.

My only experience was long ago attending a small after hours meeting at work where a fellow consultant and his wife were pitching Amway. A lot of the presentation was focused on the trappings of wealth that could be achieved if you became successful, such as expensive yachts, vacations, etc. I tried a few of their products and didn't think it was something anyone would buy unless they were with the company. The products weren't cheap and weren't as good or better than name brands. Unless you bought into the hope of being a successful salesman, you weren't going to use it and be good at convincing other people to buy it.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It worked out well for Ponzi....

Till it didn't.

Don't waste your time and effort.
Don't get your scams confused!

A Ponzi differs from a Pyramid...They are similar, but not the same.

A Ponzi conceals/lies; it has a few perpetrators, sometimes only one, and often a few unwitting agents..."I'm running the Greatest Mutual Fund On Earth! 30%/month returns! Invest with me!" The money was never real to begin with and it relies on sound investing principles dosed with greed and stupidity to insure the majority avoid taking their investment out. Furthermore, a legitimate business that hits hard times can actually become a Ponzi...

A Pyramid Scheme requires everyone to be complicit and active participants in building the pyramid, but no product is actually being proffered.

A MLM differs in that there is an actual product being sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business