Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:57 AM

764 posts, read 508,914 times

Advertisements

2 PhDs (one of them also has MBA) and I are working on a project ("stealth mode") based on an idea from one of them (which I think is brilliant otherwise I wouldn't have spent time and efforts on...).

Tho all three of us are entrepreneurial and have had various degrees of experience in the startup scene,

they are essentially from and in the academic space... both of them are professors at a well known university...

thus, I feel I could really learn business execution skills from some successful business people who have been there, done that.

SCORE would be one way to find such a mentor but I'd love to explore more options. fyi, I'm in sw Virginia.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 10:17 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
2 PhDs (one of them also has MBA) and I are working on a project ("stealth mode") based on an idea from one of them (which I think is brilliant otherwise I wouldn't have spent time and efforts on...).

Tho all three of us are entrepreneurial and have had various degrees of experience in the startup scene,

they are essentially from and in the academic space... both of them are professors at a well known university...

thus, I feel I could really learn business execution skills from some successful business people who have been there, done that.

SCORE would be one way to find such a mentor but I'd love to explore more options. fyi, I'm in sw Virginia.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I live on the other side of the country and don't know where Virginia Tech is in relation to you folks but did a quick search and found this:
https://econdev.vt.edu/projects/Entrepreneurship.html

If that's too far removed, plug your request into a search engine to find an org. closer. Also contact your local Chamber of Commerce. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
SBDC is another step above SCORE. They have a wealth of research reports available. Very specific and tailored to your customers and competition in your neighborhood / market reach.

I would also find a retired competitor and take them to lunch (often).

Apart from cooks / food businesses, I have found no greater barrier to success than academic based PhD's. (They know it all, and fall flat on their face when trying to WORK outside their own kingdoms). Be aware and add creativity and fun to your business.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:45 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
The biggest thing is make sure you offer them something. I see too often people asking for mentors to take them by the hand and lead them to success. Why would a mentor do this? It's just more work for them. Now if you offered a job skill or something that benefits them, you have a much better chance.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:57 PM

@juneaubound, thank you for the info, indeed VT is just an hour's drive away, I thought of them and have reached out to their entrepreneurship organization. Right now because of the long holiday season, they are on break.

@StealthRabbit,
"I would also find a retired competitor and take them to lunch (often).", good point but I need to find right people first, for what we do (sort of "high finance") probably it's beyond the SBDC's capability but it won't hurt to ask.

@aslowdodge,
"The biggest thing is make sure you offer them something.", yeah, that's fair deal. Let me give it some thoughts...

Much appreciated, ya' all.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:30 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
Post on CD, plenty mentors to be found

Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 AM

@rya96797 what does CD stand for?

Old 01-02-2020, 07:58 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
@rya96797 what does CD stand for?
City Data.

There's plenty of entrepreneurs, business owners, on this site with a wealth of knowledge and experience that may be helpful to you and your colleagues.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 PM

omg, how could i miss it? never thought of it tho.

I'm looking for professionals that have extensive financial instrument trading experience or background to toss some idea around with.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:04 AM

609 posts, read 529,755 times
Virginia Business Incubation Association (VBIA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business