Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 09:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does anyone else get peeved when they look at a business web site that has a page dedicated to something like 'Please submit any questions you may have about our firm/products/services' so you do, and never receive a reply? More often than not it seems these questions go unanswered. Why don't they just eliminate that page from their site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else get peeved when they look at a business web site that has a page dedicated to something like 'Please submit any questions you may have about our firm/products/services' so you do, and never receive a reply? More often than not it seems these questions go unanswered. Why don't they just eliminate that page from their site?
Depends on the size and savviness of the business.

Once upon a time the web form was marketed as a more secure contact method to protect email addresses and phone numbers from spammers. For larger and/or savvier companies, those forms are (ironically) used for data collection.

For smaller and/or less savvy businesses, website design services often provide the contact form within templates. Yet, most businesses that are provided that form don't leverage the data collection, and frequently provide other contact methods. I've seen very small businesses forget they even have one and never check the inbox associated with it.

So, without knowing what websites you visit, my guess is:

1. The company is not interested in giving replies but uses the data for market research/advertising.
2. The company doesn't check their inbox and are not interested in their own website enough to take it down.
3. The company doesn't want to reply to you in particular.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:11 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:

Could be a broken website. Or Doreen, the person in charge of forwarding those inquiries to the right person, is slacking off on the job. Could be that your project/job/request falls outside of either what they're selling or their sweet spot in terms of doing business and they're not bothering to respond. Not a good way to do business, but it happens.

Or it could be like a client I once had who literally had million-dollar leads going cold. Why? Because their sales force was on salary, not commission. If you don't have your sales force making a large portion of their income on commission alone, you will wind up having a lazy sales force.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
They don't reply because most people are lazy and most business don't want to bother interacting with the public, and they don't eliminate the page because most websites are poorly designed and the top people often aren't aware of how it appears to the public.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
They don't reply because most people are lazy and most business don't want to bother interacting with the public, and they don't eliminate the page because most websites are poorly designed and the top people often aren't aware of how it appears to the public.

Seems to me like two good reasons why so many businesses fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business