Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
At the end of the day you are saying "retail"> Margins are tough. 15 competitors in a small market. People can't/won't go out, so where/when are they going to wear "vintage clothing"?

Put together an honest business plan and go see your banker. You might not need to borrow from them, but they can be tough on your plan and you definitely want that scrutiny before taking a leap.
Well, I am planning to open around march/april. By that time the first batch of vaccins will be given out to around 500k (doctors, people at risk) government projects to vaccinate on larger scale by the summer. Given that my country already has 2 million vaccines ready to be shipped off I believe that by the time I'm opening my store people will be go out and wear the vintage clothing. The things I am writing here are backed my most EU/US governments or at least their intent. You never know of course but I know that if this takes longer than 2021 we're all screwed so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 10:50 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Before the riotings, and the lockdown, the only places where a second hand vintage clothing store can succeed also has prohibitive rents for such a niche market.

However, now that so businesses has vacated Midtown/Downtown Manhattan, and Southern California, it looks like be the right time at the moment.

Talk to a broker about rents and locations.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
OP must be in Europe as she is quoting Euro.
I am in US,so not familiar with European students wanting vintage items.
There are plenty of counterfeit out there,esp handbags.
As for Ralph Lauren,the lower grade clothes come out of the Chinese factories with price tag,original price slashed to show sale price,can you imagine the sale starts in the factory before it hits the retail store.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:50 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
OP I think your biggest problem will be finding enough high quality fabulous blogged-about vintage items at a low enough price to stock a store.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP I think your biggest problem will be finding enough high quality fabulous blogged-about vintage items at a low enough price to stock a store.
she has to know where to find them,buy up the whole estate lot.
But you now,it is easy to turn cash into inventory,but not easy to turn inventory back to cash!
thats why they said a good seller is also a good buyer,first you must what to buy ,then you can figure how to sell them at a profit.
I see some sellers on EBAY doing well,they have the resources to buy in lots ,and break them up and sell them individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business