Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 05:53 PM

347 posts, read 696,599 times

Advertisements

I live in one of the very few regions of the world where Acai palm grows naturally. Unlike in Brazil it is not difficult to get to as it's a small country with very good infrastructure (even the deepest rainforest is not far away from a highway....whereas in Brazil the logistics are much more complicated getting it from the Amazon river to pulp factories much further away). However I am hampered by land size. The scale of my operation would be at best 1/10 th of what a typical acai pulping factory would be able to do in Brazil. But it appeals due to the easier logistics.Also there is no local market for it here...it would solely be for international export. Basically the tree is worthless and of zero interest to anyone here.
Any advice/pitfalls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
You just have to sharpen your pencil and work the figures.

How much would it cost you to put in some some processing equipment? Factories don't have to be huge.

Interview some buyers, Make sure you have a way to sell your product.

Then sit down and add up all your start up, operating, and shipping costs and compare that to the possible ( and verifiable) income.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,819,494 times
One thing that concerns me about your plan is that açaí seems to be a fad at the moment and we know what happens to fads. Are you trying to get rich or just make a living? It will be easier if it’s answer #2. But either way, despite the smaller size, it sounds like a great way to get started and learn the ins and outs of the market and then if all goes well you could consider expanding your operations into Brazil.

Also, while you’re trying to get started you might consider other crops to grow as a a kind of insurance for when and if the açaí crop fails. I’ve always thought that monocropping is a bad idea but what do I know? I’m no farmer but i read books.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
The first action is to learn how to spell açaí correctly.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:17 AM

If the plant grows well and is easy to take care of, you can easily talk neighbors into growing it after you get a small processing plant in and running. they will grow it if there is a place to sell it.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The first action is to learn how to spell açaí correctly.

Spell it? I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce it, and wondering why anyone wants to eat it.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:26 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,245,786 times
Can you compete with Brazilian wholesalers' price? Will your margin be enough to reward you with the kind of volume you expect to produce? If you can differentiate yours somehow you might be able to command a premium but if you're only making cents per ton it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business