Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 04:14 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Thanks for the input Chessie. I would imagine they have to make money for some owners or else why would there be so many around that stay open? I must be dependent on location and also the owners who often have no idea how to run a business.
Actually I need to correct my statement. It is not a UPS store - it is a Qwik Pack & Ship store. Sorry for the misinformation. They offer FedEx, DHL and UPS services though. Very successful store. Definitely location is a huge factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 05:20 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Actually I need to correct my statement. It is not a UPS store - it is a Qwik Pack & Ship store. Sorry for the misinformation. They offer FedEx, DHL and UPS services though. Very successful store. Definitely location is a huge factor.
Yeah, i feel that would be a better business. Maybe also offer Amazon Locker, copy/print/fax, internet cafe, etc.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Why does UPS or FedEx even franchise this out? Or do you mean become a certified vendor, but under your own name?

You can have like a store, and be a certified vendor for pickups, and dropoffs.

I think Amazon needs to start doing this too. Its too easy to steal their merchandise. They get left outside. Their business models ought to mean, they have stores everywhere close enough for customers to pick up.

Which makes them a brick and mortar store.

Amazon actually tried to approach my employers and get their own electronic entry for the buildings. We told them heck no, or pay us for it. But even when they do get inside, they leave everything in the lobby, and someone steals it.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I have no personal experience in this area, but I could never figure out how those places make any money.
Exactly, storefronts need foot traffic. Without which there is no point. A company like Amazon should be brick and mortar because there is just no other way to secure their merchandise. Dropping it off on the porch of leaving in the lobby with no door man is just not feasible. Theft is rampant.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just want to ask you, is FedEx, DHL, and UPS paying you to get your services, or do you pay them to allow you to be their shipping center, and pass cost to customers?

Old 02-19-2021, 05:45 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Amazon actually tried to approach my employers and get their own electronic entry for the buildings. We told them heck no, or pay us for it. But even when they do get inside, they leave everything in the lobby, and someone steals it.
Time is money for the driver. Once one delivery service leaves something in the lobby or at the mailbox they all do. But the Amazon guy's also tend to stage their deliveries for the picture where as others try to hide theirs from an easy public view from the street.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Time is money for the driver. Once one delivery service leaves something in the lobby or at the mailbox they all do. But the Amazon guy's also tend to stage their deliveries for the picture where as others try to hide theirs from an easy public view from the street.
LOL is that how it works? Amazon actually has their drivers leave stuff in plain sight simply for the marketing. I guess the theft is worth it then, because Bezos is the wealthiest man ever.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:56 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
LOL is that how it works? Amazon actually has their drivers leave stuff in plain sight simply for the marketing. I guess the theft is worth it then, because Bezos is the wealthiest man ever.
I didn't think of seeing the swoosh as marketing. The staged picture is for proof of delivery, going beyond the GPS location lock at the time of the scan event that the other services depend upon

Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Thanks for the input Chessie. I would imagine they have to make money for some owners or else why would there be so many around that stay open? I must be dependent on location and also the owners who often have no idea how to run a business.
They generate income from multiple activities including renting out mailboxes, shipping, packing, notary services, printing, etc. A mailbox with a street address at UPS costs $20-50 a month and you can have packages delivered there whereas a post office box can't have courier deliveries.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:17 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Why does UPS or FedEx even franchise this out? Or do you mean become a certified vendor, but under your own name?

You can have like a store, and be a certified vendor for pickups, and dropoffs.

I think Amazon needs to start doing this too. Its too easy to steal their merchandise. They get left outside. Their business models ought to mean, they have stores everywhere close enough for customers to pick up.

Which makes them a brick and mortar store.

UPS bought Mailboxes, Etc. in 2001 to make it easier for consumers to access their services. The 4,000 or so MBE stores at the time were all franchises and it was easier for UPS to keep them rather than try and negotiate each. UPS was already testing UPS Stores in Atlanta and they rebranded to that a couple of years later. They also stopped shipping for other carriers.

FedEx bought Kinko's in 2004 with the similar goal of expanding access to consumers while offering similar services to business customers. They never got into the mailbox business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business