Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:16 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,316,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
As someone who has run his business out of his home for twenty years and has a CPA for a wife, I wouldn't do it. Too many complications, too many ways to get dinged.

Do you mean don't carry it forward? And why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 09:32 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,068,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Do you mean don't carry it forward? And why not?

According to her? Way too complicated for not enough gain. Plus it jacks up your chance of an audit dramatically.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
According to her? Way too complicated for not enough gain. Plus it jacks up your chance of an audit dramatically.

Are you sure she isn't referring to claiming the home business deduction in the first place, rather than carrying forward a loss? Because if the first one doesn't trigger an audit (it hasn't in the 25 years I've used it, most years) then I don't see any reason why the latter would. That might look fishy for a newer home business but mine has been around a long time.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:14 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,068,956 times
Quote:
Are you sure she isn't referring to claiming the home business deduction in the first place, rather than carrying forward a loss? Because if the first one doesn't trigger an audit (it hasn't in the 25 years I've used it, most years) then I don't see any reason why the latter would. That might look fishy for a newer home business but mine has been around a long time.

I've been running a biz for 20 years. For example, if you're taking the home office deduction and work out of a separate structure (Such as a garage or, in my case, a guest house) and you sell your home, then the sale has to be treated as the sale of two properties with the home office portion of the sale reported on form 4797. Since we've moved twice during that twenty-year period, and likely have one more sale before we hang it up, it's simply not worth the hassle. There are other ways to enjoy tax deductions.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I've been running a biz for 20 years. For example, if you're taking the home office deduction and work out of a separate structure (Such as a garage or, in my case, a guest house) and you sell your home, then the sale has to be treated as the sale of two properties with the home office portion of the sale reported on form 4797. Since we've moved twice during that twenty-year period, and likely have one more sale before we hang it up, it's simply not worth the hassle. There are other ways to enjoy tax deductions.

Well it works best that way for you but I don't think you can make blanket statements about it not being worth it for others. I don't have a separate building and I don't plan on selling in the next few years and I think its worth it for me.

The only question I have is whether its worth it to carry the loss from this year forward, and I haven't looked into that.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:48 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,775,942 times
This is a great, current article. I had a home office for 25 years but only took the deduction during the years I rented. I did not take it when we were homeowners.

https://www.thebalance.com/tax-conse...ffices-1798786

Old 04-21-2021, 08:55 PM

It seems many people avoid the home office deduction because of what it might cost them later, so they sacrifice the savings it offers them now. I honestly don't know what works out best for me in the long run, because I don't know what the long run will bring. If I die tomorrow, taking the deduction was a pretty good idea. Also since I use the simplified method, my understanding is that it wont affect capital gains taxes when I sell. But every time I think I know something about tax code I find out there's some other thing i didn't know that puts conditions on what I thought I did know. I'm too busy making a meager living to be a tax expert, and my living is too meager to afford my own tax expert.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:40 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,673,787 times
Quote:
I'm wondering what the current rules are.
If only the IRS maintained an on-line presence replete with both high-level summaries and detailed instructions.

They could call it a "web site."

Maybe you should suggest it to them.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
If only the IRS maintained an on-line presence replete with both high-level summaries and detailed instructions.

They could call it a "web site."

Maybe you should suggest it to them.

And its called a discussion forum for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business