Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 09:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,596,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

YouTube is full of women using their "assets" to their advantages, of course I wasn't talking about your genre you do on YouTube, but many health/beauty/makeup channels have female creators that like to show of their assets so to speak.

My channel is health, fitness, fashion, lifestyle & beauty tho AND selling “assets” is totally different than content with information AND building a beauty & lifestyle “name”. The women that “sell themselves” don’t make money on You Tube because they alienate sponsors. It’s a super big difference.

It’s common sense that you have to have a mostly female subscriber base to build a channel like mine. So...showing off assets will alienate sponsors AND your audience.

edit: O.P....know your audience if you expect your channel to grow & make money.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-16-2021 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 10:02 AM

663 posts, read 434,955 times
My go to Youtubes are Cruising, foreign news sites, Harry Potter, and Star Trek.

I do let the commercials stream but rarely pay attention to them. I often pull out the earbud till I see the host back on the screen again.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:10 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,898,830 times
Quote:
Oh, there's plenty of women saturating YouTube that use their "T & A" to make mucho dinero, don't kid yourself. For better or worse, sex will always sell, and there's tens of millions of lonely/horny guys (simps) out there.
I wasn't kidding myself, lol. It's precisely why I made the explicit distinction between those (clever) women who build a (long-lasting) business vs. those who simply want to titillate in the moment. In other words, there's a difference between a professional model or fitness expert vs. a centerfold or stripper.

Quote:

If you go to channels for solo female nomads, for instance, and see their various thumbnails, you'll notice when the thumbnail has them partial naked in it, those vidoes can get 10 or 50 or 100 times more views then a video with a non-partial naked thumbnail, and the funniest part, that thumbnail, more often than not is not even in the video!
It sounds as though you've researched this, lol. Point being, there's a difference between clever (albeit beautiful) women who build a business vs. those who simply want views. Long-term, there's no contest as to who has the most potential for (financial) success, per the thread.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:56 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,072,097 times
When it comes to economics, most of these YT speculative idiots have no clue.
Don't forget to click on like, so they can get paid regardless.
And when they are wrong, comments are disabled, pathetic...get a real job.
Travel channels are sometimes helpful, but again...limited in scope.

Last edited by Sunbiz1; 06-17-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-17-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
When it comes to economics, most of these YT speculative idiots have no clue.
Don't forget to click on like, so they can get paid regardless.
And when they are wrong, comments are disabled, pathetic...get a real job.

Most You Tubers do have real jobs...but a $75,000 to $90,000 or more “bonus” every year isn’t being an “idiot” IMO. Matter of fact, I said that it should be thought of as a hobby & not work at 1st p^^ because it’s super hard to predict if the money will come in....especially now when there are so many ppl starting new channels on the same stuff. It’s totally different than 8 yrs ago IMO. AND our revenue doesn’t just come from views & Adsense, but from direct sponsorships.

If you don’t like the content tho...then don’t watch? How would you know comments are disabled on somebody’s page if you weren’t watching them?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,072,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

If you don’t like the content tho...then don’t watch? How would you know comments are disabled on somebody’s page if you weren’t watching them?

I have a good memory, so I went back to comment on how their misleading titles and advice serves nobody but their bank accounts...and of course was not able to.

That aside, YT is better than college in many cases for learning applications; just annoyed with the scammers today.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I have a good memory, so I went back to comment on how their misleading titles and advice serves nobody but their bank accounts...and of course was not able to.

That aside, YT is better than college in many cases for learning applications; just annoyed with the scammers today.

But how do they scam you? At least you can see who they are & decide for yourself if you like the content or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If not, stop watching.^^

Tho there is always “that guy” that lives in his mom’s basement or older women that have to be negative or make one of my videos something it isn’t or attack me personally. edit: So...I don’t blame ppl if they choose to turn off their comments on a couple of videos for any reason they want especially for the trash that is reportable.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-17-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-17-2021, 11:32 PM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don’t agree tho. Putting in some time is not the same as work.^^ Ppl spend time on hobbies & that’s all it is until the money starts to come in BUT for most ppl...it never does. If you look at it as work from the start & you are only doing it because you think you will make money, I can almost guarantee you will never make any money. AND then it will be unpaid work...super wasteful IMO.
Does the IRS consider it work?

Because really, that's what matters.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:05 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,259,732 times
My understanding is that you need to get well into the 6 figures of suscribers minimum to make a living off of Youtube. One guy I follow has about 30k subscribers and from the way he talks about it, it is side gig money. He definitely has a day job.

Another group I follow does it successfully enough to work on it exclusively and hire a couple employees, but they also have patreon and get sponsorships... their financials show they make about 400k per year. Split 3-5 ways that's an okay business, but it's a TON of work. One guy is the front-man. The other 3 or 4 do the research, production, editing, writing. Having done that work on videos for my classes, it can take all day for a 15 minute video. Can't imagine doing it for my livelihood.

When you get upwards in the 7 figures it starts compounding.

Last edited by redguard57; 06-18-2021 at 12:18 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 05:30 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,359,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
My understanding is that you need to get well into the 6 figures of suscribers minimum to make a living off of Youtube. One guy I follow has about 30k subscribers and from the way he talks about it, it is side gig money. He definitely has a day job.

Another group I follow does it successfully enough to work on it exclusively and hire a couple employees, but they also have patreon and get sponsorships... their financials show they make about 400k per year. Split 3-5 ways that's an okay business, but it's a TON of work. One guy is the front-man. The other 3 or 4 do the research, production, editing, writing. Having done that work on videos for my classes, it can take all day for a 15 minute video. Can't imagine doing it for my livelihood.

When you get upwards in the 7 figures it starts compounding.
I think it's probably best if you find that "happy medium" as a content creator, if you can.

There are some creators that I follow with rather large followings (500k+ subs) that are very bare bones, or ZEP (zero effort production) as you might call it. It's basically a one-man show, their videos have no intro, no outro, no graphics, no background music, no drone shots, etc., just them and their camera (usually their phone) as they visit road side attractions or Disney or other amusement parks.

The one YouTuber that comes to mind, is Adam the Woo from his Daily Woo channel, I would be shocked if he spends more than 30 minutes editing his videos down each night, yes he posts videos almost daily. And surprisingly he just shutdown his Patreon page, and sells his T-shirts at cost and makes no profit from them, he has never had sponsors, although he probably can easily get a bunch of them and solely lives off his AdSense revenue, which I would guess is in the high 5-figures range or even the low 6-figures range, not bad for someone with no college degree and was stocking shelves at Staples before his full-time YouTube career took off!

His videos are "evergreen" and his library of thousands of videos continue to get tens of thousands of views each and every day. Yes, he has been doing YouTube for a decade, is not married, has no significant other, no children, but seems to be enjoying his life, at least on how he presents it in his videos, since you never know how someone really is deep down inside.

Getting back to the video production/editing aspect, there are a plethora of companies out there, that will do all the editing for you, all the graphics, background music, add the intro and outro, all you need to do is send them the video footage every day or whenever you want to make a video. Of course this service comes at a price and will eat into your profits somewhat, as compared to doing it all yourself or "in house", but for some creators it might be worth it, to go this route, so you have more time to do other things, instead of editing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business