Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 02:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,918 times

Advertisements

I've been working on a large account for 3 months now. Just got lucky to get the in. It looks to be closing next month. This 1 account would send me enough monthly business that it'll double if not triple my total income. I feel like I still haven't processed it fully, like I still don't think it's actually going to happen even though everything is pretty much dialed in and signed off.

For those who have closed those life changing accounts how big of a deal was it? When did it actually hit you? Did you actually get to enjoy the money.. I'd be so worried about losing the account one day I'd prob just invest all the extra income anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 06:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
I stumbled into a life-changing deal when I solicited a national chain that was opening a store in my city. They asked if my company could handle manufacturing and installing the item across a several state area rather than just the one location in my city. They had just embarked on a rapid expansion and my town was among the first new locations. My boss was an aggressive businessman and committed to quickly ramping up production if I landed the deal. My first contract with the chain was for 20 locations which opened the door into other companies that often opened new stores in the same locations.

Almost overnight our company was doing many times our previous volume and we had to build a new facility and hire dozens of workers to man it. Within a year I had several national chains as clients, my pay had skyrocketed and our company went on to eventually become a national leader in our industry. It was part dumb luck but being able to recognize and take advantage of an opportunity when it presented itself was the clincher. The biggest personal impact besides the money was realizing that the effort to land big contracts was often no more than the smaller ones I'd been pursuing. That mentality has served me well in the years since.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The biggest personal impact besides the money was realizing that the effort to land big contracts was often no more than the smaller ones I'd been pursuing. That mentality has served me well in the years since.
That is an awesome line

Old 06-22-2021, 07:32 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,710,172 times
I sold a lot of big accounts over the years. I eventually owned my own business and we were very successful. I sold all my equity last year.

Couple lessons.
You can lose big ones just as easily as you can land them.
Don’t let your lifestyle creep as your income increases. Invest it instead. It will serve you well.
I retired at 57 with over 40x my desired retirement budget in hand and ready to enjoy.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I've been working on a large account for 3 months now. Just got lucky to get the in. It looks to be closing next month. This 1 account would send me enough monthly business that it'll double if not triple my total income. I feel like I still haven't processed it fully, like I still don't think it's actually going to happen even though everything is pretty much dialed in and signed off.

For those who have closed those life changing accounts how big of a deal was it? When did it actually hit you? Did you actually get to enjoy the money.. I'd be so worried about losing the account one day I'd prob just invest all the extra income anyway.
The account ended up being a curse more than a blessing. Yes my income shot up like crazy, but the amount of work and stress made it not worth it. I became absolutely miserable. Ultimately I ended up bouncing to a different job during the worker shortage and couldn't be happier with the move.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I had a business for 16 years and that happened to me twice. After struggling the first year, and having to moonlight to make ends meet, I managed to get an account with a major Seattle company with over a dozen locations. At that point I hired my first employee and eventually a second. Several years later I acquired additional equipment and stumbled upon a customer in another state that brought enough business that I had to hire an additional employee, and that brought me up to 4. After a couple of years, however, they found a local provider since they were having to pay me several thousand a year in shipping costs.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Can't say we had any "life changing" deals but we are known to have had other's "life changing" deals get flushed away when we get called in. We are not well liked in the industry.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:38 PM

23,553 posts, read 24,064,911 times
Around 12 years ago, my account manager and I closed a large deal with a large municipal police department in Southern California for technology related products. The close of this sale, resulted in other departments in the municipality taking an in-depth look at our product line.

Soon, we got interest from the other departments that resulted in product evaluations, which resulted in additional sales.

It was life changing, due to the volume of sales and of course, the boost to the company revenue and then our paychecks.

It took years to finally prospect, approach, sell and close these deals on this account.
Of course, over the years, we lost many sales opportunities also.

You always remember the “big ones” though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business