Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:18 PM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSmt View Post
Have you tried factoring?
no still trying to figure things out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 07:49 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I don't think entrepreneurs start businesses based on a pro/con list. I believe they start businesses because of their passion for it.

If you have to think about it very hard, you're probably not a real entrepreneur.

I'd disagree with the passion part. Plenty of businesses out there that are successful are simply because the owner works it. Not sure too many guys have a passion for plumbing or towing cars.

Elon Musk .........yeah that guy has passion for whatever idea he explores.

Frank the tow truck guy, not so much.

Both guys can be successful but the passion part isn't the same.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
Around where I live so many very small businesses and stores do not fare well, even in good neighborhoods. Owners lack basic common sense. Obvious mistakes: hard to knowif it is open, lights are so low. Bad sign or no sign...strange name for the business no one understands. Quirky unfriendly owners, no social skills or thick accent. Exterior of building is shabby or inappropriate. (Night club in a bank building?) Prices too high or not marked. I know of one man who opened a shop without a sign, address or phone number or website. And on and on. Its like they don't want business...is it a front? Some owners are merely idling the time away. Online only works, if you are with Amazon or another seller or you have a easy to use informative website.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:20 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Around where I live so many very small businesses and stores do not fare well, even in good neighborhoods. Owners lack basic common sense. Obvious mistakes: hard to knowif it is open, lights are so low. Bad sign or no sign...strange name for the business no one understands. Quirky unfriendly owners, no social skills or thick accent. Exterior of building is shabby or inappropriate. (Night club in a bank building?) Prices too high or not marked. I know of one man who opened a shop without a sign, address or phone number or website. And on and on. Its like they don't want business...is it a front? Some owners are merely idling the time away. Online only works, if you are with Amazon or another seller or you have a easy to use informative website.
You’re talking retail. Many small business to business firms can be successful. Retail sucks.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:57 AM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd disagree with the passion part. Plenty of businesses out there that are successful are simply because the owner works it. Not sure too many guys have a passion for plumbing or towing cars.

Elon Musk .........yeah that guy has passion for whatever idea he explores.

Frank the tow truck guy, not so much.

Both guys can be successful but the passion part isn't the same.
my thoughts exactly

if medical devices thing does not work out I have to own a simple business which is dull non glamorous but essential and not easily automated

any /all ideas are welcome

Old 10-19-2021, 12:44 PM

334 posts, read 520,850 times
Quote:
Not sure too many guys have a passion for plumbing or towing cars.
You would be surprised actually, speaking as an occasional tow driver it's more fun than most people realize. The majority of tow company owners own a company because they have a passion for it, not because of a lack of options.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:35 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I was always told it will be easier getting financing for buying an existing business especially if you can show a solid path the expanding the business, especially expanding sales. Increase sales with little out lay wins financing.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
You would be surprised actually, speaking as an occasional tow driver it's more fun than most people realize. The majority of tow company owners own a company because they have a passion for it, not because of a lack of options.
Ummmm yeah.........that business looks like 100% hassle. Towing wrecked cars to towing illegally parked cars seems like "fun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwom2unxLo

Old 10-19-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I was always told it will be easier getting financing for buying an existing business especially if you can show a solid path the expanding the business, especially expanding sales. Increase sales with little out lay wins financing.
Depends on the assets, many businesses are "good will" and banks don't put a lot of value on that.

Buy any type of practice (dental practice for example) and the bank values the chairs/tools/xray machines/inventory but the rest is the value of the client list is good will.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:18 PM

334 posts, read 520,850 times
Quote:
Ummmm yeah.........that business looks like 100% hassle. Towing wrecked cars to towing illegally parked cars seems like "fun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwom2unxLo
the illegally parked ones can be a pain, recovering cars from strange places is fun, working crashes can be fun at times. rolling a car back on to its wheels never gets old. there is much more to it than the BS tv shows would have you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business