Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 07:28 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,329,595 times

Advertisements

I have a new high-tech idea. The nature of the idea is kind of like the Doordash or Uber -- good and viable, but so new you don't know if there is any unsurmountable roadblock.

But I have nothing else applicable to the monetization of the idea. No business management experience; no people management experience, no high-tech background, not a whole lot of funds.

Given these, is it still possible for me to make something out of the idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 04:39 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,559,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I have a new high-tech idea. The nature of the idea is kind of like the Doordash or Uber -- good and viable, but so new you don't know if there is any unsurmountable roadblock.

But I have nothing else applicable to the monetization of the idea. No business management experience; no people management experience, no high-tech background, not a whole lot of funds.

no

Old 11-02-2021, 05:06 PM

9,962 posts, read 7,865,578 times
Quote:

You could post it here and the rest of us could look for those other unsurmountable roadblocks. Or give you ideas of what steps to take next if it sounds good.

Old 11-02-2021, 05:51 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,796,662 times
An idea not acted upon is just a dream.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:00 PM

10,065 posts, read 18,177,394 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You could post it here and the rest of us could look for those other unsurmountable roadblocks. Or give you ideas of what steps to take next if it sounds good.
Or, you know, steal it.

Seriously, OP, come on. ALL of us have "ideas." Few of us actually DO anything with them.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,329,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Or, you know, steal it.

Seriously, OP, come on. ALL of us have "ideas." Few of us actually DO anything with them.
What would you try if you have a great idea? Go hang out with the Silicon Valley people?

Even if I risk the little money I have, I'm not exactly sure what should be the process to go about it...

Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 PM

2,593 posts, read 2,796,662 times
Connect the dots.
If you don’t have the money, find someone that does.
If you don’t have the skills, find someone that does.
If you do not understand, find someone that does.
BUT first get a good lawyer who can draft you an air tight NDA.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,853 posts, read 58,453,030 times
SCORE and SBDC advise thousands of new and old businesses every day.... For FREE.

You can request counseling from seasoned professionals on your weak spots.
They can help draft a strategy.

Be smart, be thorough.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:07 AM

9,962 posts, read 7,865,578 times
Quote:
What would you try if you have a great idea? Go hang out with the Silicon Valley people?

Even if I risk the little money I have, I'm not exactly sure what should be the process to go about it...
You want to work through your idea and see if it's possible, how much it will cost, whether or not it's affordable and would people/businesses pay to buy it. You need to see if anyone else is already selling it and if anyone already has a patent on it.

No one is going to do the legwork for you for free. At this point you really want to find the roadblocks, the things that won't work or don't make sense so you can stop pouring your money into the idea early.

We all have ideas all the time. Have you watched shows like Shark Tank? You need to get to a point where you can answer all those shark's questions. You'll learn quickly that they never just pay for an idea.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,094,814 times
Do you know how to code the app?

Do you have the servers to let people connect, and use your app?

Or do you just have capital? Well, in that case, it be easy as heck to steal your idea. Look what happened with Facebook. The Winklevosses got the wool pulled over their eyes by Zuckerberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business