Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 09:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Gotta say; as a regular snowbird to Lakeland, Florida for decades, I'll take the checkouts at Publix over those machines any day of the week. Politeness and efficiency seems to be their mission statement.

So refreshing to have them welcome you with a "how are you today?" followed by: "did you find everything you needed?" then have the bagger person take care to pack your groceries carefully and summarily ask you if you need assistance to take your load to your car.

I don't care how much faster the self check-outs are as a retiree, I'm well past needing to rush to get to the next stop light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 09:11 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
We like self checkout at grocery stores. We can bag our items in plastic or paper bags. Often the cashiers will put 2 bottles of juice in one plastic bag and double bag it. We put three in one bag and no double bag. Also we can scan our own coupons. Often the cashiers fail to scan it more than once if it fails to scan. Also there are multiple ways to scan a coupon. If we need help then we ask.

We use self checkout at Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot as well as the grocery stores.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:14 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
In covid world I do not want to touch a screen everyone else has been touching, I pay cash now so the cashier has to take my stuff. BTW, Amazon has a system where you can put items in your cart and just walk out of their store.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:14 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I prefer self checkout. I like to bag my own groceries so I can keep items together that will be stored in the same place and keep meat separate from other items.
I do as well. I am much faster at checking out than some of those clowns at the register.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
In covid world I do not want to touch a screen everyone else has been touching, I pay cash now so the cashier has to take my stuff. BTW, Amazon has a system where you can put items in your cart and just walk out of their store.

Do you get change from the cashier that everyone else has touched? Covid spread through surface contact isn't a big concern. Just use one of the free sanitizing wipes.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I do as well. I am much faster at checking out than some of those clowns at the register.

Not me, if for no reason other than the self-checkout area is much smaller and you can't scan all the items at once then bag them all at once. It's one by one, scan and bag, scan and bag. Hoping the bag scale doesn't get upset.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:29 AM

8,662 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
BTW, Amazon has a system where you can put items in your cart and just walk out of their store.
Yeah, Amazon’s ‘Just Walk Out’ technology which they market in conjunction with integration, technical support and employee training relative to such.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:45 AM

398 posts, read 206,416 times
I hate the creepy ass video camera pointed at me in self checkouts. I don't consent to my image being taken like that.

In the former polite world people would ask can I take your picture. Now rude ass world cameras in your face all the time.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:24 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
I hate the creepy ass video camera pointed at me in self checkouts. I don't consent to my image being taken like that.

In the former polite world people would ask can I take your picture. Now rude ass world cameras in your face all the time.

Cameras are everywhere, not just over the self check out.

I prefer self check out and, like another poster, the first thing I do is turn off the volume. I use cotton string bags. I prefer to pack my own groceries. If it's not busy (no line) I bag as I go. If it is busy I put everything back in the cart as I scan it, finish my transaction then move aside to bag.

I never thought of using the hand scanner and leaving everything in the cart, as someone else mentioned. I like that idea except I only shop every 2 or 3 weeks so the cart is usually pretty full, so it wold be difficult to keep track. Hmmmm....

Old 07-18-2022, 06:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Businesses cannot find enough employees. That deflates the argument that checking yourself out takes away someone else's job.
Not a good argument, if business's paid a competitive wage, treated them with respect, and provide decent working hours and conditions, they would have no problem finding employees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business