Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 05:13 PM

116 posts, read 93,363 times

Advertisements

My uncle is retired And he has been trying to create a online business of selling cell phone cases ( he has some funky designs as he used to a arts major )
At this point he is just reaching out to people to see if they would promote his cases on their social media and make them affiliate marketers But isn’t there a better way of doing this ?I was trying to see what the experience of other people on this form

thank you very much for any advice

Last edited by AverageJoeShmo; 11-26-2022 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 07:17 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,677,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeShmo View Post
My uncle is retired And he has been trying to create a online business of selling cell phone cases ( he has some funky designs as he used to a arts major )
At this point he is just reaching out to people to see if they would promote his cases on their social media and make them affiliate marketers But isn’t there a better way of doing this ?I was trying to see what the experience of other people on this form

The idea is ok, there are tons of people that does it. Right now it's simply a high volume biz and no longer high profit. Can you out produce shops that sell thousands of cases for $3 profit? A lot of cases sell for $10 on Amazon and the fees for processing a sale on Amazon is around 50% to get them to fulfill your item so you need to keep your costs at $2 a case for you to make $3/case.

Assume you sell 2000 cases. That's $6000.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:17 PM

116 posts, read 93,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The idea is ok, there are tons of people that does it. Right now it's simply a high volume biz and no longer high profit. Can you out produce shops that sell thousands of cases for $3 profit? A lot of cases sell for $10 on Amazon and the fees for processing a sale on Amazon is around 50% to get them to fulfill your item so you need to keep your costs at $2 a case for you to make $3/case.

Assume you sell 2000 cases. That's $6000.
Great points

Unless these cases target a very specific niche market right ?

Old 12-05-2022, 03:28 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
It seems like an overcrowded market. What makes his phone cases so special? Maybe i'm wrong, but marketing might be alot to acquire one customer.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:02 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Maybe these would sell on etsy where people are looking for unique designs and not massive discounts.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
As a veteran etailer,this is the worse Xmas I have ever seen,people are only buying sweaters,shoes,and anything you are willing to sell at zero profit

Old 12-05-2022, 04:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
Have him send cases out to prominent youtubers that review phones and cases.

When I used to review technology, manufacturers used to send me stuff to review for free. It would keep me busy producing content. This was before social media, of course.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:38 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,303,295 times
Quote:

I bought a couple of really great phone cases on Ali Express for around $1.99 each. I see zero profit potential in a business trying compete with these types of sellers.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:32 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
At this point he is just reaching out to people to see if they would promote his cases on their social media and make them affiliate marketers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Have him send cases out to prominent youtubers that review phones and cases.
That’s assuming prominent YouTubers will like (or want to promote) JoeShmo’s phone cases (or that their audience is his target market i.e. twenties/thirties and typically those who are trendy and want to appear stylish or make a statement vs. those who are looking for practicality, protection, and minimal cost).

OP - what type of case is it (i.e. gel, plastic, silicone, flip, whatever) and what phone make/models does it fit? Who is the target audience? That will tell you the direction to go re: marketing strategy.

Quote:
Unless these cases target a very specific niche market right ?
That’s the point. Do they?

Old 12-08-2022, 01:50 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I bought a couple of really great phone cases on Ali Express for around $1.99 each. I see zero profit potential in a business trying compete with these types of sellers.
If they are hand-designed he won't be competing with the mass produced versions. OP said he was an art major and had funky designs, there are people who will pay a premium for things like that.

OP I would tell him to try craft fairs, too (aside from Etsy). We have one in my old town twice a year that attracts over 100,000 people each year. Especially if he's retired, he can travel regionally or nationally for indoor and outdoor (spring and summer) art shows and craft fairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business