Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 04:08 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times

Advertisements

It appears a lot of things changed in the last decade.*
Not so long ago or up to the 2010s most retailers wouldn't dream of how they treat paying customers that put bread on their tables like they do since.*And associates are particularly sometimes annoyingly over attentive, especially at the end of the day I bet they make the highest commissions at closing as corporates pressure locations to meet a goal everyday. I remember being in a hurry to buy the shoe I was being ushered in by the manager after asking whether they already closed as they were pulling the door at the end of the day and they eagerly made the sale. Since 2010s however it appears they just don't care anymore, they seem to only there to spend their hours and eventually they don't approach customers anymore except to let them know they want to go home. Nowadays its like stores, fastfood, restaurants are doing you a favor letting you in the their a/c at all. Often times not following their hours at all and sealing off the restrooms completely.*
Apparently the airline effect eventually spread towards the rest of the economy as well. This includes both big and little corporations and business. From Walt Disney to corner businesses. Nowadays they care about pocketing money, shareholders, Eco Greenies, VIPs* than their paying guests. They really embrace this "go green" movement as they can use it as a get out of jail free card to bad service to pinch some pennys on overhead costs cutting services or even profit in ways they never dreamed off. While raising their fees. COVID only brought a new era of lows businesses can sink into. Apparently its the ultimate get out of jail free card they can find these days for dissing those who put bread on their tables.

Costco and Home Depot seemed to have swam against the tide at least between the 2000s and 2010s. Whereas they used to only care about getting their shelves stocked or stock moving and only had stockers on the floor and don't give a rats arse about shopper comfort(they used to bedark cluttered warehouses with carts and forklifts everywhere) and assistance, eventually they took a more helpful position towards shoppers.*Blockbusters also kind of did try to improve their experience somewhat in the 2000s after being very monpolistic and ripping people off in the 1990s but it was too late, Netflix and Internet videos ultimately killed them. Cable also kind of did when satelitte, Fiber, and Internet TV ruined their monopoly.

Interesting in the last year when the malls reopened I been seeing somewhat of a return to attentive customer service. I be curious its one last effort to stay alive.*But I guess they see they are a losing battle as most customers cannot find items on the floor and even if they do they find a better price online and go for it rather than help the store earn commission.

There were also the days when Grocers not only bagged your groceries in the bag of your choice but also offered to help out automatically if they see you bought a lot of items. Nowadays they barely do anything and even lobby city council and state politicians for mandatory bag fees so its either pay up and they pocket it or leave with a armful or cart ful of loose groceries in the pouring rain.

Anyone agree or have similar experiences? Do you think aside from a few exceptions its likely the change in business models via MBAs as well as just times have changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 07:59 PM

7,817 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Q: How come corporates and businesses no longer put customer experience first anymore?

A: How come customers are not willing to pay for 1st class experience anymore?

Old 12-07-2022, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Q: How come corporates and businesses no longer put customer experience first anymore?

People do still pay big bucks to Walt Disney for a day experience, day tickets and park concessions well exceeded inflation. Despite it declining in quality. And Disney now bend down to those eco greenie folks as well and cancel culture is in full swing.

Fitness centers are raising their membership while cutting hours and services. 24 hour fitness they upgraded many centers to super sports but they ended both 24 hour operations and towel service. Would they lower their membership fees or at least relative to inflation since their overhead costs should be lower, thats and definite no.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:07 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I don't see any issues where I shop and we certainly value our customers at our store. Some of the hiccups are covid related due to manufacturers going out of business or dropping products. And some companies can't get enough employees so yes, they have to cut hours and drop some services.

I'm just thankful they're able to stay in business, trying to deal with the covid losses and inflation.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:19 AM

19,796 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

Bingo.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:47 AM

7,817 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Let me describe my customer experience at Deer Valley, a top ski resort in Park City Utah. The Deer Crest Club at the St. Regis is an on-site members-only club.

I drive up to the club Valet, who greets me by name and parks my car. I walk into the club, and the hostess greats me by name. A ski valet comes to me to ask which pair of skis I'll be skiing that day (I have about 8 skis in my current quiver, based on the terrain I plan to ski -- moguls, trees, groomers, bowls, with beginners, with experts, etc which in turn are a function of that day's weather and snowfall and any guests I might have).

There is a hot breakfast buffet that varies by day. The chef greets me by name & we exchange jokes - a minor tradition we've built up. I'll usually just get Steel Cut oatmeal (sodium-free) plus fresh blackberries & blueberries. I don't drink coffee in the club; I roast my own and prepare a single cup at home before heading over to the club in the morning. I'll chat with other club members, of course. I go to my locker, open it, select which boots I'll ski. After putting on my boots and gloves (both have had their batteries charged overnight - the batteries are help provide heat) and selecting which set of goggles based on sunlight conditions, I head to the shuttle. The club is walking distance from the slopes, but I use the shuttle to drive the 100 yards as it is easier on my leg (surgically repaired as a result of a bad skiing accident nearly 25 years ago). The driver greets me by name, and helps me into the shuttle so I don't slip, and takes me the 2 minute drive to the resort base. Another ski valet opens the door for me, greets me by name, helps me out & carries my skis for me onto the snow, while I re-buckle my ski boots. We talk about the day's events, and I head up the mountain for a day of skiing.

For lunch, I return to the club (or to one at altitude on the mountain) and have a hot meal from the buffet, maybe a cookie, and head out again. Of course, all the staff know me by name (that is part of their job description). Valets everywhere to assist with the mechanics of getting into & out of the club, and watching over our equipment.

As you might imagine, there are Apres-Ski events and gatherings organized by the club, along with other non-ski events such as Monday Night Football viewing, private screening of Sundance Film Festival premiers, parties, off-site winter events such as hot air balloon trips & the like.

This isn't inexpensive. At the same time, there is a long list of would-be club members eager to fork over their hard-earned money to join, as the customer experience is excellent. So while it isn't inexpensive, it might actually be below-market-priced.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:14 AM

107 posts, read 51,287 times
Big chain stores coast on two words : "I'm sorry"
My teachers back in high school wouldn't accept an apology instead of my assignments, and I won't accept it as a paying customer.
Since COVID hit, I've taken to shopping at my local IGA instead of the big grocery chain. I discovered a lot of new favorites when the shortages hit, and the IGA filled the shelves with awesome local products. The chain store would simply tell me how sorry they were, and give all kinds of excuses as to why the shelves were empty.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:08 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

I don't think customers were ever paying extra for that. Sears had good customer service, Bell Telephone had good customer service, discount retailers like Two Guys had good customer service. When were people paying a premium just to be able to reach someone?

Old 12-08-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think customers were ever paying extra for that. Sears had good customer service, Bell Telephone had good customer service, discount retailers like Two Guys had good customer service. When were people paying a premium just to be able to reach someone?

Glad you mentioned Sears, apparently Sears and JCPenny used to be almost boutique department stores not exactly but close, but on its final years even before COVID, SEARs had pretty much given up on helping the customers it became impossible to find an associate on the floor, and they were often closing earlier than posted hours, once I remember being told off they are closed more than one hour before their scheduled closing time and this was prior to COVID shutdowns. It took forever to find an open register to check out, and this happens not just during closing but even during normal business hours, sometimes even having to go to another floor, again more than an hour prior to scheduled closing or even midday. But at least their items were deeply discounted. While JCPenny is still alive but now its not so different from a discount store as opposed to a full service department store. Apparently its last years SEARs is just waiting to die and just don't care anymore.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:32 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Glad you mentioned Sears, apparently Sears and JCPenny used to be almost boutique department stores not exactly but close, but on its final years even before COVID, SEARs had pretty much given up on helping the customers it became impossible to find an associate on the floor, and they were often closing earlier than posted hours, once I remember being told off they are closed more than one hour before their scheduled closing time and this was prior to COVID shutdowns. It took forever to find an open register to check out, and this happens not just during closing but even during normal business hours, sometimes even having to go to another floor, again more than an hour prior to scheduled closing or even midday. But at least their items were deeply discounted. While JCPenny is still alive but now its not so different from a discount store as opposed to a full service department store. Apparently its last years SEARs is just waiting to die and just don't care anymore.
They were already half-dead by then, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business