Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times

Advertisements

I have found myself in an odd situation that can really help someone out there be successful but I don't know what to do with it hahahahaha.
I am looking for ideas on how to contact that right person, all opinions and ideas will be very appreciated!
I am working with some out of state investors that have bought this great older building and we are refurbishing it. Putting 4 urban metro lofts on the top floor, roof top gardens, 6 small offices in the basement level and there are two retail spaces on street level. We already have the applications for the lofts and they aren't even built yet! This is a great downtown revitalization area that is actually seeing economic growth, yes, even now! hahahaha
Anyway, the one thing that this city and it's downtown needs is a corner grocery type of place. Maybe with a meat cutting counter, a sandwich counter, local produce and some organic specialties. The people of this city are crying for something like this. Especially as there are more and more of these urban lofts being built and filled.
This building is a PERFECT location for this. Even though I know this would be a major money maker, I don't want to change careers and open it myself hahahhaha
I have talked to the local Chamber and other sources but everyone that is looking to open a business already has there plan/idea. It's not like people say "I want to work for myself, now someone hand me a location and a business plan" but that is kind of what I want to do but have no idea where to look for those open to the concept.
Any ideas of the next step?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
wow...I know this may sound like a real critical unhelpful post but if you self-deprecate your business with correspondence like this (hahahahaha) I'd have a problem taking you as a serious business associate.
The usual procedure is to advertise the space you have in local papers, with real estate companies, etc, as well as take advantage of any personal/professional networking you have available.
But , good grief.....come across as professional!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Your right, but I was really looking in a more informal way and it is kind of funny, I think to find myself in the position.
I wanted to make sure no one thought I was advertising on here for this, so I kept it light and unprofessional for a reason. If you knew me, you would know that when it comes to by business, I am very professional.
I would normally agree with you about local advertising but seriously, how in the world could I write up a newspaper add for something like this without it coming off like a "get rich quick" scam or something similar? And I do have the space itself advertised for lease, I am talking more about finding that right person for the concept of the business that would fit the location to a T.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,255 times
With all the people thinking about scams, the best way to make anything nowadays is to scam. If you tell them its a scam, then they will probably give you their money because no scammer tells people they are running scams.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
With all the people thinking about scams, the best way to make anything nowadays is to scam. If you tell them its a scam, then they will probably give you their money because no scammer tells people they are running scams.
That is so sad.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
This building is a PERFECT location for this. Even though I know this would be a major money maker, I don't want to change careers and open it myself hahahhaha
Respectfully, I would never believe anyone who pitched something like this to me. Everyone thinks they have a sure-fire, can't miss idea that will bring cash in hand-over-fist. Very, very few actually do.

I'm not tearing down your idea, because there's no way to evaluate it based on the information provided. You may well have a solid concept, but if you're not willing to bring it to fruition I don't see many other people taking that ball and running with it for you. They're going to be just as skeptical as I am.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM

I can see that. And that is why I am in this position, I too would be skeptical if someone else wrote this or had an add like that. However I do not want to get into the retail business, I already own two other business, just don't want to get into a third. The owners of this building I am working with need someone to lease it, I have the perfect business plan to fill it, just no one that I know of, nor through my normal network channels know of anyone looking to get into a retail business.
I hate letting a good plan go to waste.
So how would I pitch this to someone so that it won't sound like ...well how it is sounding to you all?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
So how would I pitch this to someone so that it won't sound like ...well how it is sounding to you all?
I'd seek out people in the local area who are already involved in the type of business (in this case, grocery) that you're after. Sit down with them and lay out your plan, asking for feedback. If they think that the idea has merit, you could try to negotiate a deal with one of them to set up shop in your building.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I'd seek out people in the local area who are already involved in the type of business (in this case, grocery) that you're after. Sit down with them and lay out your plan, asking for feedback. If they think that the idea has merit, you could try to negotiate a deal with one of them to set up shop in your building.
That is a good idea. However in this area, the only grocers are big box style chains. I tried to talk to a few, except they are all hired management and have no knowledge or experience of starting from scratch and a lower stock volume from a purchasing stand point escapes them. This would be the first in this area which is the only true downtown urban core. The city has been begging for something like this as are the people who live there and moving there. Just no one has stepped forward to do it, I am offering the location at super low lease rates to allow for success.
Again, which ever way, in a few lines, to advertise this just escapes me.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Again, which ever way, in a few lines, to advertise this just escapes me.
I can't see an advertisement having much success, for the reasons that you've seen in this thread. I'd seek out grocers in other towns, because they'll have the experience and aptitude to judge whether or not your idea has merit. If it does, they'd be likely candidates to take you up on the lease because they'd expand their business without competing against themselves at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business